Chapter 7- Pain Killers

"What happened to your parents?" he asked, eyes wide with.. What were they wide with? Wonder? Fear? Usually I could read people like a book, but not Carl. How strange. I just looked into his eyes for a minute, trying to uncover his emotions. I eventually gave up and sighed, looking down at my hands which were clasped together in a clammy ball. "You don't have to if you don't want to." he rushed.

     I took a deep breath before fake smiling and lifting my eyes to meet his.

     "I never really knew my dad," I began,"The asshole left before I was born. My mom," I suddenly decided I didn't want to talk about my mom or how lonely I was without her. "My mom got separated from us a while ago. It's just been me and Trinity for what seems like forever." I finished.

     I did not give him all of the information I had. I did not tell him that my mom had somehow kept going with two young daughters and an abusive boyfriend. I did not tell him that it had been exactly 253 days since I'd watched my mom frantically try to get to me and cammies cut her off. I did not tell him that I hadn't appreciated everything I'd had until it was gone. And I certainly did not tell him that I no longer wanted life to go back to normal. I simply wanted to live in this small group of people and try to keep going. The only things I longed for from my old life were my mother and music. I did not tell him that I had grown cold to death, and I'd probably drift farther and farther from this group as soon  as I had secured a safe place for Trinity. I did not.

     Carl just stared at me blankly. When he realized that was all I had to say, he nodded simply.

     "What about you? What happened to your mom?" I asked, trying to distract myself from my own dark thoughts. I wasn't any good at comforting people, but it was easier than comforting myself.

     "I.. well..she.." he stuttered before cutting himself off as I turned my head towards footsteps coming towards us down the hall.

     "Shit." he whispered before hopping off my bed and diving to the ground behind it. I giggled at this sudden action, but stopped myself as the footsteps grew closer. Carl obviously didn't want to get caught.

     "Carl?" asked Rick before shining a flashlight into my cell. I squinted my eyes against the bright light.

     "He's not here." I said, easily lying. A smile crept onto Rick's face. I had no idea that he even had the ability to smile.

     "So just his voice is here? Is that right?" Rick asked, clearly amused.

     "I didn't hear a voice." I said, grinning. The jig was clearly up.

     "So, who's that behind your bed?" Rick asked, raising his eyebrows and pointing the flashlight underneath my cot.

     "What are you talking about?" I inquired, choking down laughs.

     Rick just laughed and said, "Carl, I can see you. Just come out from there." Carl groaned and stood up. My jaw dropped when I saw him. He was acting as if he had just put on his sweatpants, adjusting the waistband and untucking his shirt in the back.

     Rick chuckled and high-fived him. I felt my cheeks burn at what Carl was suggesting. As Carl followed Rick out of the room, I regained my composure and called, "Carl Grimes, I am not that easy!" I heard Rick burst out laughing and Carl didn't say anything. I assumed he was embarrassed. I laid back on my pillows, content with having the last word.   

     I woke up without any recollection of falling asleep. I sat up, cracked my neck, and fell back onto the pillow. I had a horrible headache. I shut my eyes to relax, since I definitely didn't feel like yelling to request pain medicine.