Chapter 4- Me and My Gun Will Be Watching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Fast Forward Roughly 1 1/2 Years~~

     I heard the brown, golden, and reddish leaves crunch underfoot as we marched through the forest. I turned to Trinity and asked, "Why don't we take a break?" She nodded and sat up against a huge maple tree. I sat beside her and pulled off my backpack. I opened it and pulled out two apples from an orchard we found earlier that day. Only a few trees were left but I took fourteen apples from them. I handed over the red apple to Trinity and started munching on my granny smith. Trinity smiled and bit into her apple. 

     I looked up and noticed the beauty of the peaceful autumn woods. The light shone through the deep red leaves delicately, as if to not disturb the leaves. I stared up at them, wishing the leaves were yellow. Yellow has always been my favorite color, mainly because sunlight shining against yellow leaves is the perfect hue of gold. I glanced back down and finished off my apple. I kept the core in case we came across any deer. I stood up and Trinity did the same. She kept chewing her apple as we walked. I glanced around and noticed a cammy (that's what we call the dead who come back as monsters... after the name of the virus) trailing far behind us. I sighed and pulled out my axe.

     I waited for the cammy and as it got closer I heard more loud moans of the undead. I glanced around, narrowing my eyes, and saw dozens of them. I turned and sprinted towards Trinity. I grabbed her hand and we flew across the dead leaves of the forest floor, staying as silent as possible. I heard the horde behind us which only made me run faster. Anytime a particularly fast cammy got too close I chopped its head in two. We were putting distance between us and most of the cammies, but they were still fairly close. We ran up a hill, breathing heavily. We reached the top of the hill and I saw a large prison.

     "There," Trinity said, pointing at the prison. "We can hole up in a guard tower and pick them off." I nodded, slightly surprised. I was pretty sure that was the most she'd said since we got separated from our mom. We kept running and reached the gates. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no lock on the gate. I forced the door open enough for Trinity and I to barely squeeze through the door and shut it again behind us. 

     "Stop. I have a gun pointed at the blond one's head so you might want to cooperate." a boy called down. I turned slowly and squinted my eyes against the sun, but I still couldn't see the boy.

     "Please help. Those monsters are coming! A horde!" Trinity called.

     "What, walkers?" The boy called back to her.

     "Uh, yeah if that's what you call the infected," Trinity shouted, "Now please help us! Are there more people here?" 

     "Yeah. Inside. Go on in. Tell them Carl sent you and drop your weapons as soon as you get in. Me and my gun will be watching." he called coldly. Trinity walked quickly up to the prison doors, knocked, and tugged the door open. A man raised his crossbow, stepping in front of a blond girl who looked like a deer in headlights. In her arms was an infant. Trinity put her pistol down and raised her hands. I did the same with my axe but left my hands down.

     "Up." the man said, gesturing to my hands with his crossbow. I followed orders.

     "Carl sent us in." Trinity said, fear in her voice. It was like she was steadily coming back to life. The man loosened up a little.

     "After pointing a gun at your head, right?" he asked. I smiled.

     "Basically. He needs to work on his people skills." I said. I couldn't help it. It had been so long since we had encountered people who weren't trying to kill us for our supplies.

     "Yeah he does. Don't try anything." he said, lowering his crossbow. Trinity and I both nodded in acknowledgement and lowered our hands. "So what brings you two here?" he asked as the blond hurried away and set the infant in a crib against the wall. The crib was blue so I guessed the baby was a boy. She came back and stood behind crossbow man again.