Chapter 18- Rick

I wasted no time by asking questions. I ran straight back to the cave and called for Carl, keeping my voice calm. He smiled at me, almost sneakily, when he reached the top of the ladder. He'd apparently regained his confidence in the short time I'd been gone.

     "What's up?" he asked coolly, setting his backpack on the ground. 

     "Carl, Maggie's in the woods. We have to go. It's.. your dad," 

     Carl's face froze for a moment before twisting in some kind of fear or pain.

     "What's wrong?" he asked lowly, chillingly. It reminded me of that first day we'd met, when he had so resembled a vicious dog readying to bite. He was the 'other Carl' again. The wrong Carl. Which was understandable.

     "I don't know. Let's go," I forced out of my mouth. I just wanted to hold Carl and protect him from whatever was waiting for us back at the prison.

     Carl knelt to the ground and rolled the ladder to form a tight cylinder before shoving it into his backpack. He rose and started running. I trailed behind, feeling a dull ache in my head and ignoring it. That always happened when I was caught off guard.

     As we sprinted into the treeline, we quickly met up with Maggie. I found it odd that Carl didn't ask any questions about what had happened. We all just ran in silence. I had to be extra careful not to trip, though I still managed to stumble a few times. Sprinting at top speeds through obtruding roots and trees was not easy for a clumsy person.

     The prison came into view and I pushed past the stickiness in my throat and the dryness of my tongue. I'd long since gotten over my temporary asthma, but sometimes the symptoms came back after stress and heavy exercise. Maggie started to run towards the gate but I motioned for her to follow us. There were usually no walkers at our secret entrance.

     After getting inside the gates, Carl circled to the front of the prison with Maggie at his heels as I slowly and unskillfully retied the rope, trying to keep my hands steady. When I'd knotted it far more times than necessary, I followed the path they'd taken to the front of the prison. I ran inside to find a panic surrounding the couch. 

     Of course, I sprinted over.

     Only to trip backwards again at what I saw.

     Rick was moaning in agony on the same couch Carl and I frequented to read on, blood seeping into it in a mass of gore from his upper thigh. I choked as tears flooded my eyes, pouring down my face before I had a chance to stop them. I covered my mouth to keep quiet and stared at Carl, who'd flung his hat off and was standing before Rick, jaw clenched and apparently frozen.

     My heart crinkled at the same time Carl did. He fell to his father's side and sobbed. I crept closer, preparing for what everyone knew would happen. Gore didn't bother me anymore. I just stared. What could I do, really?

     "I'm sorry," Hershel muttered, his voice calm despite the tears catching in his beard,"it's too high up. and too late anyway."

     "Dad," Carl choked out, as Beth handed him Judith. He shakily delivered Judith to Rick's arms. Rick smiled faintly.

     "Carl, I love you. I love Judith, too. I want you to keep going. I give you my blessing with Nikki and I hope you'll love her like I loved your mother. I hope you'll love everyone here like your own family. And if not family, then neighbors. Maybe someday you'll understand just how incredibly much I adore you. I am so, so glad that you are my son." Rick's voice grew weaker and more stuttering as he spoke, his breaths diving in and out of him with great effort,"Take care of Judith and yourself and everyone around you. And don't forget to wear that damn hat of yours," Rick finished with a smile as his eyes shut with a kind of finality.

     "I-I love you, too, Dad," Carl forced out, sounding years older than he was. And then Rick was gone. He didn't go peacefully. It was a series of breaths getting shallower and shallower, then silence. One last inhalation and he was gone. And Carl was sobbing and taking Judith from Rick's arms and everyone was crying and Maggie was holding onto Glenn and I was clutching Trinity and then Carl took out his gun. I stumbled away from Trinity and to Carl.

     "Carl," I started, touching his shoulder lightly as I knelt down next to him.

     "Get the hell away. This is your fault. I could've protected him but I was off with you," he sobbed, pushing me away. I nodded, my heart crumpling further and my head pounding as stars filled the corners of my vision. I tripped away and half-ran to my cell, clenching my entire body as I heard the gun shot that signalled that this was all too real and Rick was all too dead.

~Author's Note~

I feel terrible.

I hope I didn't make anyone too sad

I certainly made myself sad. I don't know how I'm going to sleep...........

*changes subject before bursting into tears*

SO WHADDUP WITH THE SUDDEN EXPLOSION OF FANS? YOU GUYS ARE SO FREAKIN COOL. I can't imagine that all of you people actually like my story. Are you sure you weren't hired by the government? XD Thanks for your support, even if you are spies.

By the way, I have no idea how this death turned out. I was trying to kind of reread it and see how it made me feel but them I thought, "Screw it. I don't want it to seem forced," so if you could let me know how it was or what I should change in the future that would be great.

~Jules/ Atlas/ Whatever the fudge you want to call me.