Chapter 24- Checkers

I spent the next two days wandering around lifelessly. I hadn't slept since before Nat and I went for our little adventure. I had massive headaches which were only getting worse and I had to rest constantly. Trinity tried to help me sleep but all she could do was reassure me because I refused to let anyone touch me. Sloan still slept locked into her cell, probably because everyone knew she only reminded me of what had happened. Everyone went about living with ease as I struggled to do just that.

     On the third night,  someone sent Nat in to talk to me. All I could do was accuse her of not helping me and cry pathetically. She was trying to explain something to me but I couldn't bear to listen or let her reason with me. She left and I went another night without sleep.

     The next day I was looking out the window, wrapped in a blanket, when I saw him. Out in the forest in front of the prison, behind all of the walkers crowding the fence. I saw Finn standing there, no longer grinning. His face was dark and he looked as if he sought revenge and nothing but revenge. There was something on the side of the face and I tried to determine what it was with my aching brain as he slowly crept closer to the gate. It was the gunshot. The wound was there.

     He was coming to take revenge on me and Sloan and probably Nat, too. I stared, unable to move, as he stepped right through the crowd of walkers and then right through the gate. He didn't open it. He just slipped through it somehow. That was when I began to panic, screaming for Trinity, who ran to me and frantically asked what was wrong.

     "He's here! It's him, he's here," I sobbed, pointing out the window at the monster.

     Trinity stared out, searching for the person I was pointing at as tears filled her eyes.

     "Nikki, there's no one there," she told me, trying to stay calm as she looked at me. Her eyes were fearful, like I was the evil one who was going to hurt someone.

     "He's right there!" I insisted, pointing to him and begging her to do something about it. He was right there and he was going to hurt me!

     "Nikki, listen to me. No one is there. You are okay. You're safe in the prison," She said, biting her lip and trying to keep herself composed. She tried to hug me but I squirmed away. I shook my head and she just tried to convince me he wasn't there. I looked again and he was gone.

     That was when they insisted that Carl be sent into my cell with me to calm me down and maybe help me sleep. Hershel told me I'd been hallucinating due to lack of sleep, but I didn't believe him. I knew what I had seen.

     So Carl agreed and was sent in. I was on my bed and he came and sat next to me. I was careful not to let him touch me.

     "Nikki," he said quietly, raising his eyebrows to exaggerate his seriousness,"you need to sleep."

     I shook my head. I couldn't sleep. He didn't understand that I was too fearful to do that. There would only be nightmares anyway. He lightly took my hand and I closed my eyes, preparing for what I knew he would do next. He would hurt me and no one would help.

     But he didn't hurt me, or even try. He hugged me tightly. Every muscle in my body was tight and afraid at first, but I eventually realized that he wasn't going to do anything to cause me harm.

     Carl laid with me until I fell asleep, which didn't take long. I slept for 22 hours straight after that.

     When I woke up, I hardly knew what year it was. I was dazed and confused. Carl was there sleeping. I didn't need to know what year it was, or even what century it was, as long as he could forgive me.