Chapter 21- Girly Shit

Daryl came busting into the guard tower, startling me into reality. Carl spun on his chair to look at Daryl rather than the fences. I was still sitting against the wall, my stomach feeling like lead.

     "You're back," I noted, forcing a small smile. I could feel my eyelids drooping slightly. I always seemed to be tired and crying so much didn't help.

     "You two alrigh'?" Daryl questioned, ignoring my statement and glancing steadily between us.

     "We're fine," Carl said harshly, standing from his chair. Daryl narrowed his eyes a little, ready to tell Carl off, but seemed to remember that Carl had lost someone more important to him than Daryl had and sighed. He pushed himself up onto the floor of the tower and stood, his classic crossbow in his cracked hands.

     "How 'bout you go down and eat somethin'? I want to talk to Nikki," Daryl said to Carl. I could tell he was trying to be patient. He wasn't very good at the whole easy-going thing.

     "About what?" Carl asked, not bothering to add a filter between his mind and mouth. It hurt to hear him like this. I felt my leg try to nervously shake as I pushed against it with my hand to keep it from doing so.

     He glanced over at me,"Somethin' private she asked me to do on my last run. Girly shit," he told Carl. I glared at Daryl, following his lead and acting annoyed for his sharing of our 'private information'. Carl rolled his eyes and left, attempting to slam the trapdoor and not making much of a change in the volume of it.

     "Sorry, had to get him to leave somehow," Daryl shrugged, sitting next to me. I smiled a bit at him before returning to staring at my leg, focusing on not letting it shake.

     "He ain't said nothin' to you or anything like that, has he?" Daryl asked.

     "No. Not at all. He's just been a little moody," I lied. It wasn't like he had really tried to rape me or anything, he just had been a little out of sync with the world for a minute or two. Daryl seemed to search my face for truth before nodding curtly. 

     "Go on, I'll take guard," he offered, tilting his head toward the trapdoor. I smiled gratefully at him. Maybe he could tell I was on the verge of tears or maybe he just figured I'd want to look after Carl. Either way, I took him up on his offer and exited the tower, tears itching my cheeks. I wiped them away and continued to climb downwards. I'd been so damn emotional lately. 

     "What did you need him to do for you?" Carl asked, arms crossed at one of the pillars of the guard tower. My eyes snapped over to him. He'd startled me.

     "Girly shit, remember?" I told him, hoping he hadn't seen me wiping my eyes.

     "Like. What?" he demanded, tilting his head at me.

     "Carl, stop," I growled back at him. There was no way I was going to stand there and let him be a douche,"You can't just trust Daryl for God's sake?"

     "I can trust Daryl, but I can't trust you," he told me, staring  at me with steely gray eyes.

     "Fuck you," I cried, my voice catching as I turned and ran to the prison. He couldn't trust me? Hell, I was the one who couldn't trust him anymore! Why was he acting like this? He'd lost his dad, yes, but that was no reason to be a controlling jerk to me! I'd been nothing but understanding!

     I continued to think angrily until my thoughts grew despairing and I could only think that it was my fault. After all, I'd lied about what Daryl had said to me. I really couldn't be trusted.

     I'd ended up laying on my bed, my stomach pressed against the mattress and my face resting on my hands. What felt like hours later, Nat stood in the cell doorway and knocked out a tune on the wall.