Chapter 13- A Little Birdie

I stood for a few seconds, soaking in my surroundings. Then I forced my emotions out of my body and grabbed a long branch from the ground. I pushed it into the ground in the direction that I thought was home before climbing the tree that it had probably fallen from, tugging my weapon behind me. I dug my nails slightly into the bark to give myself some extra traction before heaving my body upwards. A few more heaves and I'd reached the lowest branches, maybe 10 feet up. Two thick branches were right next to each other with only a small space between them, so I remained there rather than trying to go further up. I pulled my knees to my chest before tugging my sweatshirt down over them and retracting my arms into my sweatshirt.

As the last rays of sunlight lingered weakly in the air, the heat seemed to leave my body along with the sun from the forest. I shivered slightly and brought my legs closer to my chest. I was grateful to at least be out of the wind thanks to the thick foliage. I wondered how long ago they'd noticed I was gone. If they'd noticed at all, that is. I really wasn't much of an asset to the group. I tried to tell myself that they would find me tomorrow, and I'd hardly even have to worry about food, but I knew it would take longer. Even with Daryl's tracking skills, I knew it would take at least two days. It was a possibility that I'd be on my own from then on. All because I'd followed some dumb wolf.

Had that wolf even been real? Was I completely insane? Maybe I was getting sick from being out in the cold rain so much. A trick of my recent head injury? Or maybe the stress of this world had finally gotten to me. No, that wouldn't make sense. The stress was finally starting to let up.

I decided that I would tell everyone I dropped my weapon through the fence and went to retrieve it. Then they'd think I'd been chased and hadn't left because of pure stupidity. I dug my broken nails into my palms and clenched my teeth. I was so naive! What had I possibly been trying to accomplish?!? That prison was the best thing that had happened to me in a long time. And I'd just wandered away?!? I berated myself for a few minutes more before my rage calmed and I went back to being cold and tired.

I realized I had to sleep at some point, so I dug my stick/knife duo deep into the tree to my right. I leaned up against the tree, slightly tilted to the right. This way, if I fell, the protruding stick would stop me. I hoped so anyway. I pulled the drawstrings on my hoodie and shut my eyes, happy to sleep. No nightmare could be worse than this bull shit.

~Daryl's Point of View~

"Well where the hell is she?" Trinity screamed at me. I could tell she was furious and wanted to hurt someone in hopes of making them upset as well.

"How the hell am I supposed to know? She ain't my sister. And she ain't my responsibility either." I informed her calmly. Sure, I was worried about Nikki. I'd only just met her, though and she seemed tough. We would find her or she'd find her way back. It would be alright.

"Screw you. I'm going out to look for her." she snarled, turning on her heel.

"Uh, no. You ain't," I informed her, grabbing her shoulder,"All that's going to accomplish is gettin' you killed. It's getting dark and it's freezing out." Trinity glared at me.

"I'll get myself killed if I damned well please." she countered, trying to turn again. I was too strong for her and she ended up tipping over a little before I pulled her back into standing position.

"Listen here, I'm a hunter. I can track her down easy. In the daylight, that is. I'll go tomorrow. So I suggest you go sleep." I said more mildly. I didn't want her to freak out too bad. Her shoulders sank and she leaned against me, sobbing lightly. I patted her back twice."Alright now time for bed. You need the rest." I told her, helping her to her cell. She laid on her bed and cried and I decided to leave her. She probably wanted space anyway.