Chapter 2

I kept my promise to myself.

It's been three days. I did drink water from the bathroom, but I didn't eat. I didn't come out of my room. The hunger and insomnia was killing me, but a part of me was already dead.

Someone knocked. Someone's always knocking. Usually it's Jay. He's been extremely kind to me, telling me stories through the door and trying to get me to eat. It doesn't work though.

"It's storytime, Nath," he said. I heard him sit against the door. "Once upon a time there was a unicorn. He was a beautiful unicorn. And believe me, he knew it. He was the vainest unicorn in his garrison. He had chocolate brown fur that glistened in the sun and startlingly bright green eyes. His horn was a luminous black, like his tail and mane.

"He had a mate as well. She was striking, and every inch of her was pure white.

"One day, his mate died. She was killed by hunters. The unicorn cried a river of sorrow. No one in his garrison could cheer him up. He neglected himself. Soon, he wasn't pretty at all. His once glossy coat was matted and dirty. His green eyes were dull and his mane and tail were ratty. His horn was blunt and rough.

"Another unicorn finally talked sense into him. The depressed unicorn slowly got over his mate's death. He cleaned himself up and started being healthy again. He eventually found a new mate: the unicorn who talked him out of it. And everyone lived happily ever after."

I knew he was paralleling the story to my life. My only question was: Who is is the new mate? The one who talks sense? I couldn't figure it out.

Jay waited for me to speak. When I didn't, he sighed. I heard him stand and linger for a moment. "Good night, Nathan," he said before leaving.

I curled up into a ball and cried again. If my best friend can't make me happier, what can?