Chapter 22

The next morning I woke up with a pounding headache and searing pain in the rest of my body. But there were no makes. No burns.

I rolled over and found my face centimetres from Jay's. I could feel his warm breath on my lips, tickling my skin. My impulse was to kiss him, but I knew it would only hurt.

I reached a hand out and gently touched his face. Pain. But not as bad as what I felt everywhere else. I closed my eyes and let myself stroke his cheek, focusing on the soft feel of his skin.

He reached up and grabbed my hand. It stopped hurting. I opened my eyes and found his blue ones staring back.

"Good morning sunshine," he whispered. "How are you?"

I shrugged. "In pain. I feel like I just jumped into a fire. How about you?"

"I'm feeling fine." He closed his eyes and played with my fingers. I shivered at his gentle touch. His skin on mine. It usually burned, but my hand was okay.

"I'm sorry about last night," I told him softly.

"Not your fault," he replied.

"It is though. It's all my fault. I'm so sorry, Jay."

"You're not getting rid of me, Nathan. I'm here forever. Forever yours."

I inwardly sighed in relief. I didn't want to lose him. He didn't deserve my pathetic self, but I didn't want to let him go.

"Hold me," I requested.

"But what about..."

"I don't care. I need you, Jay."

He chuckled, but nonetheless wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. My brain cried out. Oh shut up, I reprimanded it. This is my life and I'll hug the one I love.

I tried to ignore the pain and the fear. This was Jay. I love Jay. Safe, warm, comfort, soft, mine. Jay.

I lightly kissed his neck, pulling back quickly as my lips burned. "Ow."

He let go of me but I snuggled back up against him. I could hear his heartbeat fluttering in his chest. I wondered if mine was that fast.

He kissed my forehead. "I love you."

"I-" I started to reply, but fell unconscious from the phantom pain.

I woke up in Jay's arms, still in bed. Still in pain. I whined and tried to free myself from his grip.

"Nathan?" he asked.

I sat up and held my head in my hands. "I'm just tired of it. Jay," I complained wearily. "Make it stop."

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"I'm tired. I'm weak. I'm hungry. I'm cold. I feel horrible. Make it go away."

"We could go back to the hospital," he suggested. "Try to get a prescription."

"Do we have time before the gig?" I asked.

"Of course. It's..." He checked the clock. "Oh. No, we don't."

I sighed and rolled out of bed onto the ground. "I guess I'll have to survive tonight. We can go tomorrow."

I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans, feeling Jay's eyes grazing my body. I blushed. "Stop it."

"I don't want to," he replied. I could hear his smirk.

When I was done, I sat in the chair and watched Jay dress. His long legs, sturdy arms, strong chest, pale skin. His curls, floppy and messy. His eyes, shining a deep shade of blue. His pink lips, his deft fingers. His stubble, already growing back. His shy smile when he looked at me.

"Like what you see?" he asked.

"Definitely." I smiled, wiggling my eyebrows. He laughed and opened the door. "Shall we go eat something?"

I followed him to the kitchen. I ate a bit of my leftover salad. It was a shame I couldn't eat more; it was delicious.

"Nath, your shirt is really loose," Tom said, pulling at it. "Is this really the size you usually wear?"

I nodded. "Same size."

He gently poked my stomach. His eyes widened. "My god, mate! You're skinny as a stick!"

"It's not my fault," I said bitterly, walking away. "I physically cannot eat enough."

I looked back at Tom. He just looked...sad.

When we finally reached the gig, I felt about ready to fall asleep. I stumbled onstage in front of thousands of screaming fans. I smiled at them as my brain screamed dizzily.

In the middle of my I Found You solo, I just stopped. I couldn't keep singing. I was too tired. My body didn't have enough energy to continue.

Max saved me and carried on. I smiled weakly at the concerned crowd. Jay eyed me with confusion.

"What happened there?" he asked me, away from the microphones.

"I'm just whacked, mate," I replied, feeling my voice threatening to give out. "No energy."

Jay's eyes flashed with concern. "We need that medicine. And soon."

{A/N A bit of a filler. Don't worry, the next one will be better. I hope.

Six song references in this one! Can you spot them? I'll give you a hint...they're mostly towards the beginning. I'll dedicate the next chapter to the person who spots the most. :)

Thanks for reading, as always! Xx ~Pickles}