Woods

"No, no, no. Caden come back!" I attempted calling after him but he had already ran too deep into the trees to hear.

I was prepared to forget and drop everything just to go after him, but before I could even take two steps towards him, I was interrupted.

"Hey, wait up." A male voice called from behind. I turned to see Sean leaping from his perch and landing perfectly on his feet. "I'm coming with you."

I took slow steps backwards. I didn't say a word.

He smiled. "Hey, please don't be afraid. I'm coming with you."

The way he spoke made me feel like he cared for me in some type of way. An odd feeling really. Something I liked. Something I needed. An older brother figure maybe.

I hesitated but in the back of my mind, I knew Caden was running deeper and deeper into the endless darkness of trees.

"Alright." I said. "But hurry."

I turned and began sprinting into the trees, Sean close behind. We just kept finding ourselves headed further and further.

Once I had started panting, I slowed to a stop. I held my side, bent over, and gasped for air. Sean was barely even breathing. I turn towards him.

"How are you here? Ya know, like alive. I mean you can't be alive 'cause I heard you talk to me yesterday but you weren't there." I slumped down to the ground and put my back against the tree. He walked over and sat next to me.

"Has anyone ever told you that your very blunt? Not everything has to be one or the other. You believe I have to be either a ghost or alive. What about a vampire? A werewolf even." He answered. What he had said really gave me something to think about.

"I mean, I don't know." I answered. "I just always want an answer the fastest I can get it and narrowing down the possibilities of things makes it simpler to answer I guess."

He nodded. "Makes sense. It really does." He smiled. "Well, I'm actually this..."

I cut him off with, "We gotta go back." I had just remembered the kite. "We need the kite."

"No it's okay. We'll just get it when we come back, okay?" He assured.

"No, no, we need to go back. Don't worry, I have an idea."