Home

We walked home in silence. I was disappointed in Caden for not at least giving him a chance. That's not the Caden I knew.

"Caden," I say, finally breaking the silence once we took our final steps out of the woods, "do your eyes still hurt?"

"Hunter." Was all I heard before he collapsed to the ground.

"Are you alright?" I knelt down beside him. He looked up at me, his eyes were completely blood shot.

"Caden, c'mon. We gotta go get you help. My house is right there, you can do it."

He forced himself up but immediately started panicking. "I can't see! Hunter, I can't see! Please help!" Tears started streaming from his eyes.

"You're okay." I assured him. "Just keep walking."

I put my arm around his neck and we made our way to my house. I picked up my pace, nearly dragging him along.

It must have been at least two in the afternoon. My mother is going to be so mad.

As soon as we burst through the back door, my mother came rushing to our aid. She looked as though she were about to scream at me but then she saw Caden and how panicked he'd looked as he tried to find his sight.

She instantly took notice of his eyes. How could you miss them?

Snatching the washcloth from where it was hanging on the stove door handle, she damped it and applied to his face.

"Let's go." She instructed. She took Caden's hand and led him to the living room where she then laid him down on the couch and covering his eyes with the entire cloth.

"Just keep it there. Now, what did you do?" She asked.

"I don't know." He answered. "I was just in the woods and I sat by a tree. I heard something so I looked up and something fell in my eyes. It was like a liquid. Not even a lot, it just burned."

My mom froze. "Was it blue?" Her voice was steady.

"Yeah, yeah it was." He replied, remembering the scene.

"Get out."

"What?" Caden sat up.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I asked her.

"I said get out!" She screamed, making us both jump.

She grabbed his arm and yanked him off of the couch. He was now being dragged blindly once again. Opening the front door, she shoved him out and slammed the door behind him.

"Mom, why would you do that? Are you crazy? He can't even see!" I'm not sure why but tears flowed from my eyes.

She stared at me and for the first time ever, I was afraid of my mother.

"Get upstairs. You're grounded."