Kite

We made our way back to my house in the backyard and scavenged for the kite until we spotted it lying in the grass.

"You actually fixed it." Sean whispered, picking it up gently.

"Of course, Caden and I did." I said back to him.

"Why?" He asked me. I thought about that. I don't really know why we did fix it.

"I promised." I answered as I look at the kite in his hands and back at the woods. "I keep my promises."

He nodded before saying, "Thank you. We should go."

I agreed and we headed back into the darkness of the trees.

We began walking and walking and didn't stop until the sun had started to come up. After awhile, he finally questioned me about why I'd wanted to go back for his kite.

"'Cause, I was thinking maybe we could use it as a signal. Ya know, like fly it as high as it goes and maybe if Caden sees it, he'll know where we are." I answered.

"Smart. Let's do it right now." He suggested.

This had been the same plan Caden and I had to get Sean to notice us, except this time around, Sean didn't refuse to hold the string.

I ran as he gripped the thread once we felt a bit of wind come in from the East-the direction we'd been heading. Letting go, I felt the fabric fight against the gusts as the wind snatched it from my grasp.

The kite flew straight up then began to float.

"Hey, let more string go." I instructed him.

He did as told and the kite instantly flew higher. Once to its longest length, I could barely see it. The sky's color had blended with it as if they were one.

Looking at Sean as he stared up at the flying toy, all I saw was utter joy in his eyes. I smiled to myself as we kept walking, calling Caden's name as we went along.

"Having fun?" I asked him after a short period of time.

He laughed. "As much as a boy my age could have." I laughed too.

"How old are you anyway? I mean, if your a ghost, you don't age right? But you look older than when you..."

"Yeah." He interrupted, not wanting me to finish. "Except I'm not a ghost. I'm a Sean." He laughed slightly.

I liked him. He was always happy even when I said stupid things that hurt him. He's like the best brother I never had.

"Ya know, you're great. I wish you were my brother." I confessed.

He chuckled. "Yeah well..." He stopped suddenly.

I instantly spotted Caden once his voice had trailed off.

"Caden!" I yell as I run towards him. He spins around and I quickly embrace him.

He pushes me hard and I nearly fall backward.

"Golly..." I whisper looking at his eyes.

Something was wrong. He wasn't mad or sad or anything like that.

He was in pain.