Step 1

Flashback

(3rd pov) 

It was pouring rain outside. The grey clouds covered the skies, causing a gloomy appearance to befall on the hospital The same appearance being reflected into a singular hospital room with two young girls.

One sat on the bed with her medic equipment with her head turned to the window with a forgotten book on her lap. Beside her bed side, seated in a chair was a similar female who was drawing with a bored expression.

"Ne, Onee-sama..." the female in the bed called out with a gentle voice. "What is it Zori?" Her sister asked without looking away from her drawing.

"Why aren't you at mommy's funeral. "

Once the words left Zori's lips, her sister stopped drawing before slowly looking up to see Zori staring outside still with a solemn face. Zero sighed as she placed away her drawing materials and walked over to the bed, gaining Zori's attention.

She flicked Zori's forehead causing ehr to wince and hold it with both hands. "That hurt Zero-nee!!" Zori complained, causing Zero to smirk in satisfaction. 

"What's with that serious look huh? Besides, if I leave you alone then you'd be extra sad because I'm not here right?" Zero responded making Zori look at her innocently with her hands still on her forehead. 

"Eh...Onee-sama knew?" 

"Of course you idiot."

"Onee-sama...mommy died from cancer right? Does that mean I'm going to die too?" 

Zero's breath got caught in her throat as she looked at her sister's innocent face. Her heart tightened as her own twin mentioned the thought of 'death'. It's something she avoided. A subject she didn't like to hear.

That's why she didn't want to go to her own mother's funeral. If she did, she would just tart having thoughts of the day where Zori would take her place. 

Zori saw her sister's distant expression. "I'll be okay Onee-sama!" she chirped happily while grabbing her elder sister's hand. The light in Zero's eyes slowly returned as she focused on her sister. 

"Big sister will be really lonely if I left right? Just like me! So don't worry because I won't be gone too far away. You promised me remember?" She said in her joyful voice. Zero blinked a few times before her heart melted at her sister's gaze.

She closed her eyes, a smile on her face, and gently leaned her forehead on Zori's. Zori's curious eyes studied her sister's peaceful face as she felt Zero's grip on her hands tighten.