Chapter Five: ~That's Not My Name~

I'm the last chick standing up against the wall.

*****

"Why did the wicked witch of the west summon you to her lair?" Liv enquires me after an awfully long period of silence. "How much trouble are you in?"

She's still quite concentrated in her computer screen, and I couldn't help but notice that she was leaning towards it so I could not get a glimpse at it, even If I wanted to.

"She just wanted to give me a hard time for being late, that's all. I'm still breathing, so..."

Liv, just like me and many other employees of the hotel, is also familiar with Veronica's knack for embarrassment to those who commit a fault such as showing up late for work, so it's not surprising to me when she gets her eyes away from the screen, and meets mine with a furrowed brow.

I simply shrug, acknowledging how atypical the situation is and pretending to be as surprised as she is.

"Anyhow!" She beams, rapidly moving on from the subject as I draw a silent breath of relief, "Have you heard who the new guest is? Or should I say... guests?"

And just like that, my contentment is brought down to the ground. But I just put on the best poker face I can manage, shaking my head. And she begins to tell me, trying really hard to conceal the level of excitement she has boiling inside of her, what I already know.

She's talking way too fast for my abilities to keep up with her, and her face is flustered by sheer excitement. Which I find utterly funny if we consider the fact that she is not actually a fan.

As a matter of fact, and this is something I have come to learn over the year I have been sharing the front desk with her, Liv is not a declared admirer of any celebrity in particular, as much as she is a fan of famous people in general.

She is that kind of person who knows absolutely every single star in the Hollywood sky without actually caring for anyone beyond their stay at the hotel. Whether it's an actor, a musician or any other kind of celebrity, her level of enthusiasm is always directly proportional to the amount of fame that they hold. And that passion disappears as soon as the famous person does the check out.

So, what I am trying to say is that, considering that these guys are staying for over four weeks and they happen to be the members of –correct me if I'm wrong– one of the most famous bands in the world, I am in for a really long and nerve-wracking month.

Two hours later, she still hasn't changed the bloody subject, and she has been reading so many things about the band, I now know a bunch of useless information such as their favorite foods and movies.

I didn't really mind her babbling about random facts until she began to do the research –for lack of a better word– of all things related to Harry Styles.

Somewhere between the fourth article about Harry's affairs with models or women twice his age, and a very much public scandal with a fellow singer, I decided to mentally walk out of the conversation, and I have been limiting myself to let out an occasional "aha", or a "oh!", or simply just nod along to whatever she says.

Suffice to say, though it is absolutely not out of jealousy, I am not even remotely interested in Harry's love life or his alleged adventures.

Mostly because the Harry that every single article is depicting on its endless pages filled with words like supposedly, sources close to, or might have been, is light years away from the image I have of him from five years ago. Or even a year and half, if we take the wedding encounter into consideration.