Chapter Forty-One: A Song For You.

Listen to the melody 'cause my love is in there hiding.

*****

They are a singular bunch, that's for sure. Four completely different individuals, with different personalities and characters, but yet so perfectly complementary to each other.

I have had the chance to hang out with them a few times over the course of the last month, but they would always be doing something work related. And even though they would be having the time of their lives in the process, watching them interact in a purely idle scope sheds a totally different light upon them. And they look absolutely beautiful under it.

Where Liam is introspective and quiet, Louis fills every silence with witty remarks. Where Niall chuckles at yet another cheeky comment, Harry puffs and pretends not to be amused by them.

What one of them lacks, the other has to spare. Where one of them is weak, the other is strong. On and on, they make each other perfect and capable of absolutely everything. Including dragging me out of the darkest place I have ever been. So much so, I have spent the last several hours laughing as hard as I never laughed in my life.

But is not just them. It is also Jasper and Olivia, who seem to have declared a truce from their constant bickering and they even joke and have fun together over the countless bottles of beer we have killed off already in spite of Harry and the disapproving glances he throws in my way every now and then.

I know I'm not supposed to be mixing alcohol with the medication I'm taking for the pain, but let's take a look at where following the rules have lead me and see if I care about them now.

"Are you okay?" His voice startles me a little for I was really deep inside my own thoughts. "Do you want me to tell them to go?"

I turn my head just enough to meet his eyes, noticing that his suggestion sounded more like a silent petition to get me alone. I smile sweetly at him and I shake my head.

As much as I don't regret, even for a second, the choice I made about us, I don't think I'm ready to talk about it just yet.

Being here, laughing and holding his hand is exactly what I need. And all that I'm able to handle.

"I'm good." I say snuggling closer to his side as he lets go of my hand to slide his arm across my shoulders. "Let's just stay like this a little while longer, okay?"

"Okay." He agrees, putting a kiss on my head and I smile.

Another few good minutes pass by with me just wrapped in his arms and laughing about whatever silliness the boys and Liv do or say, and when the doorbell rings I frown in confusion.

As lame as this may sound, I don't think I know anyone else in this city other than the people in this apartment, and since my parents called earlier to tell me they haven't got a flight until tomorrow night, I have no idea who could it be.

A minute later Ed is walking through the door with his guitar hanging on his back and a six pack clutched in his hand.

"Hello, everyone!" He waves a general greet, placing the beers in the coffee table and carefully sliding the instrument off his body before coming to give me a hug. "I heard my biggest fan was having a bad day and I just had to be here."

The widest of all smiles settles on my face as he talks, knowing that I must look like a complete dork but not caring about it at all.

As he takes a seat next to me on the couch where Jasper was until he got up to buzz him in, I look over to where Louis is and he grins at me with evident self-sufficiency.