5.0 Hearts a Mess

The next morning, Andromeda snuck out early before anyone was awake to get water for Jasper. She made sure to avoid Murphy but seriously thought about stepping on the hand that she had cut last night. She still had no idea how she managed to do that.

She walked into the forest with a bucket and went to the stream. Looking in the water, she saw her reflection. She had seen better days. Her curly hair was tangled and matted and she had dark circles under her eyes. The bruise on her jaw from the fight with Murphy a few days ago was fading nicely. All in all, she surmised, it could've been worse. After grabbing the water, Andromeda trudged through the forest only to be met with a scream. She dropped the bucket and ran to the source of the sound. What she found confused her. She saw Bellamy kneeling next to this boy on the ground but no female who screamed. She walked up to them slowly.

"Bellamy?"

He turned to look at her then back to the body on the ground. When she got close enough, she recognized it as the boy who was fighting with Wells the other day but his face was almost impossible to see. His body had been so mangled by the poison that you couldn't tell what color eyes he had.

"What happened?"

"The fog," was all he said. In his hand, he was turning over a knife.

They looked at each other before Andromeda swallowed the bile that was coming up. She looked down at the boy and placed a hand gently on his chest and one in his hair, running her fingers through it soothingly. The boy painfully rolled over to look at her.

"Hey, I'm going to help. Okay?" she whispered to him.

She took the knife from Bellamy's hand, as it lay limp. Andromeda started humming an old tune that her mother used to sing her to sleep with. She figured that this boy could use it on his way to sleep forever. She kept the knife from the boy's cloudy view and brought it to the side of his neck. Still humming, she gently slid it into the boy's neck. Blood immediately started coming from the wound onto her hand. When she pulled the knife out, the boy's life started coming out with it. He gently closed his eyes to the sound of her voice and the stroking of his hair. With his last breath, she finished the song.

Pulling back from him she looked up to Bellamy finding his eyes already on hers. They were filled with so much emotion that she didn't know what to do. Bellamy broke the silence first.

"You may be a killer, Andromeda, but you're not a murderer. I was wrong about you."

Andromeda didn't know what to say so she sat there in silence for a moment before she wiped the boy's blood on her jeans and sat up looking back at Bellamy.

"Yeah? And you're not the heartless, power hungry asshole I thought you were."

The two of them wrapped up the boy's body, which Bellamy told her was named Atom, and carried him, back to camp. By the time they reached the camp, darkness had fallen. They brought the body to the center so that everyone would know that he was in fact dead and not missing. Andromeda also wanted them to know what the fog could do to them so they had to be careful.

When they came back, Octavia came rushing out of the drop ship.

"Thank God! You should have been back hours ago, both of you!" she exclaimed.

As she rushed forward, Bellamy went to meet her to hold her back from the body. Andromeda couldn't figure out why he would do such a thing for a random boy but then she realized that this mustn't have been a random boy for Octavia.

"Octavia, stay back," Bellamy tried to tell her.

"Bell, why? Stop," she pushed past him.

She came face to face with Andromeda before she looked at Atom's body. Andromeda gave her a look of pity before Octavia bend down to move the jacket covering his face. Tears started to stream down her face.