19.0 Bloodstream

Over the next couple days Monty, Jasper, and Andromeda were hard to find. More often than not they would sneak off only to come back hours later looking tired. No one knew where they had been. The reality wasn't as exciting as people thought it was. Jasper had come up with the brilliant idea of making alcohol and Monty and Andromeda were on board. They scavenged for parts to make a still. Construction of the still only took one day. The hard part was making an alcohol that was drinkable and wouldn't cause liver failure after one drink.

"Dammit, try again," Andromeda groaned at the two boys.

Today was Unity Day, the most pointless day on the Ark in her opinion. When the twelve stations came together to form the Ark, people took it as a cause for drinking and celebration. That was all fine and great in Andromeda's eyes but what she didn't like was all of the pomp and circumstance. On the Ark, she normally just sat in a corner and read a book until the whole thing blew over. This year was different. This year, they were on the ground.

"Here, try this," Jasper handed a cup to both Andromeda and Monty.

Andromeda sniffed it warily and looked at Monty before downing the little bit of liquid in the cup. The alcohol was smooth down her throat and left a taste of cleaning supplies in her mouth but unlike last attempts, it didn't burn her throat so bad she needed to throw it back up.

When she swallowed the liquid, she and Monty shared a tipsy smile and looked back at Jasper who waited patiently.

"Well?" he waited for their review.

Monty stuck out his cup, "Another, bartender."

Jasper's face broke out into a huge grin. He poured a cup for Monty, Andromeda, and himself.

"A toast," he announced, "To the two geniuses and the hired help."

Andromeda laughed with a look of mock offense on her face before the tapped their glasses together and drank the liquid in one gulp. Monty grabbed the jug of alcohol and poured everyone another shot before Jasper ran out of the tent with it to give it to the masses.

"How long do you think it will be before everyone's seeing stars," Monty asked.

Andromeda pursed her lips for a moment, "Nightfall?"

Monty smiled at her and finished the last of his drink.

Andromeda was right in saying nightfall. By the time it grew dark, she and the rest of the camp were drunk beyond belief. Drums were echoing in the trees all around them and the firelight made everything have a warm glow. Various games had started around tables and people were dancing around the fire.

Miller was twirling Andromeda around the fire and they were both giggling like madmen. Andromeda stumbled a little bit and crashed into him sending them both sprawling on the floor. When they picked themselves off they laughed even harder. Getting up off of the ground Andromeda looked around to see what everyone else was doing. Across the camp, she saw Bellamy standing guard with a pleasant smile on his face. His smile grew even bigger when he saw her approaching.

"Look at you, standing over here all brooding," Andromeda called to him.

Bellamy gave her an amused look and bit into an apple, "Best Unity Day ever."

"What's got you being all serious?"

Bellamy smiled down at her, "The Grounders are out there. No doubt coming for us right now. Someone has to be serious so you can have fun."

Andromeda gave him a huge smile one that she didn't think she'd given since they had been down on the ground, "Come have fun with me."

He studied her for a little bit seeming to be torn on what to do. Part of him wanted to take her up on her offer but he knew he shouldn't.