22.0 Ain't No Rest For the Wicked

Hours before the sun came up that morning, Andromeda slipped out of Bellamy's tent without him waking and without attracting attention. Dawn was still a ways off and she contented herself by grabbing a bottle of Jasper and Monty's Moonshine and sitting by the fire. She had a lot to think about.

She watched the sun rise over the trees and took all of the beauty in. Some of the hundred had begun to stir in the early morning including a red-eyed Clarke who came to sit next to her. Andromeda silently passed her the bottle and Clarke took a swig gratefully.

"What happened to you?" Clarke asked her.

Andromeda shook her head, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"A drop-ship fell last night," Clarke said putting down the bottle.

"Where?"

Clarke looked down at her feet, "Crash landed."

Andromeda didn't know what to say. She knew that Dr. Griffin had been on that drop ship. She felt rather guilty at the sense of relief that her father wasn't high enough up on the food chain to make it on the first drop ship. As far as she knew, with the coms being dead, her father was still alive on the Ark.

"I'm sorry about your mom," was about all she could get out.

Clarke nodded again, "Thanks. We're planning a recon trip to look at the crash sight. I want you there with me."

"Of course."

Andromeda stood up and went to her tent to grab her things. When she entered the tent she saw Octavia grabbing her pack as well. There was a small awkward silence between them. Andromeda didn't say anything as she bent down to grab her things until she couldn't stand it anymore.

"How long are you going to stay mad at me?" she asked the girl.

She heard Octavia sigh, "I'm not mad at you. You tried to talk to Lincoln."

Andromeda turned around, "Only for you."

Octavia smiled softly, "I know."

They heard loud voices shouting and both shrugged their bags to get outside. Once they exited, they saw guns being distributed to the guard and people assembling at the gate. Bellamy stood there looking tired but not angry, for which Andromeda was grateful. He didn't look like a changed person but the same guy she had grown to respect. 

Andromeda slowly walked up to Bellamy and he handed her a gun. As the gun passed between them a hard, meaningful stare was exchanged but they didn't say anything to each other. Andromeda turned on her heel and went to stand next to Clarke.

"Alright. Let's move out," Bellamy barked.

As one company, they all left the camp in search of the crashed drop ship. It didn't take long for them to find it. The smoke had still not subsided from the previous night. When they crested a hill they saw the wreckage and even Andromeda had to gasp. The whole area was one large crater with grey ash everywhere. Limbs and charred bodies littered the ground around them. Andromeda lowered her gun to cover her mouth from the stench of burning bodies that filled her nose. It was enough to make her want to throw up.

"Stay sharp!" Bellamy called to the gunners, "Grounder retaliation for the bridge is coming. It's just a matter of when."

Andromeda kept looking around the wreckage for anything useful.

"You blame them?" Finn asked.

"No. I blame you," he retorted.

Andromeda heard a feint dripping noise and went to investigate further. She came up to this big tube that was mostly intact from the crash. She leaned down and saw purple liquid dripping from the tube onto the rock. The liquid smelled like rotten tar.