Chapter Eight

The following morning, Loki awoke to find Delysia still asleep, both facing one another. He went to lift the covers, but Delysia began to stir from her sleep and smiled weakly upon seeing Loki's face. It had been the kindest face she'd seen in years.

"Good morning, Delysia." Loki said as he pushed back the covers.

"Good morning." Delysia said back.

She sat up in bed as Loki walked towards his dresser.

"Why was the door locked when I came back last night?" Loki inquired.

"The maids weren't here and I just wanted some extra security." Delysia replied.

"That's why I have a guard outside the door." Loki told her.

"I don't understand why there has to be a guard. I can perfectly take care of myself." Delysia sighed.

"There is a guard there because most of the people at court know you stay here all day, never wanting to be seen. So they know that at any moment they can come here and take you. Is that clearer? Or do you wish for me to explain it more?" Loki explained.

Delysia shook her head and Loki sighed as he turned back around to get his clothes out.

"Maybe, if you showed yourself more often to the people, I wouldn't have to worry about a guard." Loki added.

Delysia remained silent as she watched Loki go into the bathroom and change. She shed a few tears as she stared at the bathroom door and inhaled sharply. She quickly wiped away her tears before Loki exited the bathroom. He walked into the room again and looked over at Delysia. It was clearly evident that she had been crying and Loki sighed as he put his head down.

"I'm sorry for speaking harshly, but it's the truth." Loki told her.

"And I appreciate you being honest with me. For I fear, I've forgotten what that's like." Delysia spoke.

Loki walked over to the foot of the bed and Delysia smiled weakly.

"You could have said it in a...nicer way." Delysia chuckled.

"I could have. I should have." Loki said.

"Can I still have my breakfast sent to me?" Delysia asked.

"Of course you can. I'll go now." Loki replied.

"Will you come to keep my company, like you said you would?" Delysia asked.

"Yes. I shall see you soon then, Delysia." Loki told her.

Delysia nodded her head and watched as Loki left their chambers. Delysia changed out her nightgown into her dress for the day and contemplated what Loki had told her. Everything he said was true and yet she didn't want to believe it. She should have stood up for herself and told him the true reason as to why she hated the guard being outside her door. Luckily, Loki was the one to enter the room with her breakfast.

"Delysia? Are you alright? You look nervous." Loki asked.

"I think I did not tell you the truth as to why I do not wish for a guard outside our door." Delysia replied.

"Well, then what is it?" Loki inquired.

"Back in Vanaheim, when I was kept in my cell, a guard stood by the door whenever someone else would come in to make sure I never ran or escaped. And the guard being there, reminds me of those days that I want to forget." Delysia explained.

Loki smiled weakly. He was glad that she had shared a piece of her past but was saddened by the reality of what had happened to her. He knew he still had more to do.

"I understand very well now. But, he is there for your security. He will not harm you or make sure you don't run from this place. He is there to protect you." Loki told her.

"I know that. He just reminds me of another time." Delysia said.

Loki set her tray down by the table in front of the couch and walked over to Delysia.

"I will make you a deal." Loki said.

Delysia raised a brow as he smirked.

"When you choose to finally leave this chamber during the day to explore the palace, I will let him be on his way." Loki told her.

Loki saw Delysia's face drain of all its color and he furrowed his brow at her reaction.

"Have I said something wrong?" Loki asked.

Delysia shook her head and he watched as her arms crossed over her chest. Her hands rubbed at her upper arms and she kept her head down on the floor. Loki went to take her hand but gasped as Delysia flinched and took a step back from him.

"Have I done something? Tell me." Loki asked.

"It was deal's like that that gave me hope back there. They promised that if I was obedient and followed their orders no harm would ever come. They lied." Delysia replied as her voice broke.

"I am sorry to have made you think of such terrible times. It was never my intention to-"

"I-I-I know. It never was. I'm sorry. I've never spoken about this before...to anyone." Delysia interjected.

"Well, I can assure you that I am a man of my word and intend to keep my promises to you. So...do you accept?" Loki asked.

Delysia looked up at Loki. He was smiling and had his hands clasped together tightly behind his back. She inhaled deeply before nodding her head softly, which caused Loki to smile even more.

"Good. I cannot wait to see you in the halls of the palace. I must go eat in the dining hall. Do you want me to send over the maids until I return?" Loki inquired.

"Sure." Delysia said softly.

Loki bowed his head and then made his leave. Delysia exhaled sharply once the door closed and she laid her hand over her chest to feel her heart beat. It beat fast and she could feel her heart in her throat. She walked towards the full length mirror in the room and pulled down her sleeve to reveal the bruises and scars that marked her body. Delysia inhaled sharply as she shook her head, closed her eyes, and pulled the sleeves back up her arms. Delysia was startled by the door opening and three maids entered the room.

"My highness, you have not touched your food." One pointed out.

"Oh, I forgot he brought it here." Delysia said.

She sat on the couch and ate her breakfast quietly as the maids either sewed or read. That afternoon, Delysia was out on the balcony and enjoyed her view of the gardens. The door to the chambers caught Delysia's attention and she smiled upon seeing Loki enter the room. Loki dismissed the maids and looked over at the empty tray.

"I see you ate everything." Loki said.

"Yes, I did. It was quite delicious." Delysia told him.

"I'm glad you thought so. We have many more delicacies here in Asgard than anywhere else." Loki explained.

"Really? Like what?" Delysia asked.

"I know that stekte pølser is one of the most popular dishes here. It's probably one of my favorites." Loki replied.

"Well, then I must try it." Delysia smiled.

"How have you been?" Loki asked as he sat on the couch.

"Fine." Delysia replied.

She stood a few inches away from the couch and Loki turned to look up at her.

"If you were truly fine, you would have taken a seat next to me." Loki told her.

Delysia took a deep breath and seated herself next to Loki.

"Do you really want to be my friend?" Delysia asked.

"If we are to be together for the rest of our lives, it makes sense to enjoy each other's company." Loki replied.

"Can you tell me again why you had to marry me?" Delysia asked.

"To keep you safe from those savages who wanted to hurt you and cause you more torment than you have already experienced." Loki told her.

"That sounds like something a friend would do." Delysia said.

"I would do it for anyone. Many of the people here await your arrival at the feast. There's only tonight and tomorrow." Loki told her.

"I am aware and yet, I still am not sure if I want to go." Delysia sighed.

"That is alright. Whenever you feel comfortable, tell me and we shall go to the feast together." Loki told her.

Delysia smiled softly and went to stand up when Loki stopped her.

"What is it you write?" Loki asked.

"My writings?" Delysia retorted.

"Yes. What are they about?" Loki asked.

"Nothing in particular and nothing of importance. Just some scribbles." Delysia lied.

"May I read them?" Loki inquired.

"Unfortunately, no. They are for my eyes only." Delysia told him.

"That's a shame. I would have loved to read them." Loki said.

"But you don't even know what they're about." Delysia sighed.

She sat back down on the couch and turned her head to face Loki. He turned to look at her and smiled.

"Well, I'm sure that whatever it is about, I would have enjoyed it." Loki told her.

"Possibly." Delysia said breathlessly.

Delysia giggled softly and Loki smiled upon seeing her beam with joy. He hadn't seen her smile like that ever since he met her. Loki felt as though he finally cracked her. He knew he had many more steps to finally knowing but he had gotten ahead by a few steps. She looked over at Loki and smiled brightly as she put her head down.

"One day...maybe." Delysia told him.

Loki chuckled as he looked at Delysia and she smiled. At this point, Delysia remembered everything Loki had told her and she knew she had to believe him. She knew that she would be safe here with him and they should become friends. She had to start to act like herself again.

"You're so very kind to me. I'm sorry if I was ever rude to you. I was just not used to such gestures before." Delysia explained.

"There is no need to apologize for your behavior is understandable due to the circumstances you were put into." Loki told her.

"Still, I should never have been mean or disrespectful to you...or anyone for that matter. That is not who I am." Delysia explained.

"Then who are you?" Loki asked.

"I am a nobody to you and everyone here." Delysia replied.

"No one is a nobody here." Loki told her.

"I suppose I must tell you who I am but...not now. In time." Delysia told Loki.

"Whenever you feel comfortable, you can tell me. I do not wish to pressure you." Loki explained.

Delysia nodded her head and sighed.

"Two men came in here yesterday." Delysia said.

"What?" Loki asked.

"I believe they were Knorr and...Varin?" Delysia replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Loki asked.

"I'm not sure." Delysia said.

"Is that why you locked the door?" Loki inquired.

"Yes." Delysia said softly.

"Was the guard there?" Loki asked.

"I did not see him so I expected he must have taken a break." Delysia told him.

"What did they say to you?" Loki inquired.

"They said that if I trusted them, they would be able to help me." Delysia told him.

Loki gripped Delysia's hand and she gasped as she looked up at Loki. He leaned towards her and Delysia furrowed her brow as her eyes searched his face, trying to read his expression.

"Listen to me, Delysia. You are never to trust those men. They are savages who want nothing more than to tend to their selfish needs. They are the greediest men in Asgard and are not be trusted with any promise they give. Do you understand me?" Loki explained.

"Of course I do. Why do you think I locked the door?" Delysia retorted.

Loki's grip on her wrist loosened and Delysia let out a sigh of relief.

"They wanted to use you as an attraction just as the men on Vanaheim did." Loki told her.

"What?" Delysia asked.

"They wanted you to serve the same fate that you had on Vanaheim and I did not wish to allow that." Loki replied.

"Thank you for telling me but...I would never have trusted them anyway for they had a deceiving look about them." Delysia explained.

The rest of the day Loki and Delysia stayed in their chambers talking with one another and reading together. Occasionally, Loki was able to make Delysia laugh and grew to enjoy her company. She was a lovely person once he got to know her. He was glad that they were becoming friends. Later that night, Loki had brought over her dinner and set it on the coffee table.

"Given that you are in your nightgown and robe, you will not be attending the sixth day of our feast." Loki said.

"No. I will not." Delysia told him.

"If you are asleep by the time I return, I will try my best not to wake you." Loki smiled.

"Thank you for being kind to me." Delysia said.

"You're welcome, Delysia. Now, I hope you have a good night." Loki told her.

"You too." Delysia said.

Loki gave her the nod of his head before exiting the room and making his way to the throne room. Delysia pulled the tray of food into her lap and ate her food. She began to be accustomed to it and didn't find a need to eat it quickly. As the minutes went by, she realized just how quiet the room was. She didn't know what to do after she ate and decided to just go to sleep. As usual, the noise from the party kept her awake but she tried her best to fall asleep.