0.01

"Ho!" The loud voice boomed throughout the small training room. I sat up straight and puffed out my chest a little bit in an attempt to look bigger compared to the other puppies in the room. The tall man at the front of the room was dressed all in black, with a vest over his chest and a colour patch on my upper arm, just below his shoulder. Jack Dennesh was his name, he'd been the one who'd been training me and my siblings for the past few weeks. Jack was actually my dad's handler, and they were best friends! But I didn't see what was so great about him, he was always so uptight and acted like he'd had his favourite squeaky toy taken away from him...

One at a time, Jack corrected each of my siblings so they fell in line properly. All of my siblings  looked fairly similar to one another, but I was the only dark haired one. Everyone else had the bright beige fur with black spots of their backs and faces, while most of my fur was a dark chocolate brown, except for the small patches of beige on the back of my ears, chest and legs. Add on top of that me being the runt and being physically a lot smaller than my siblings, it made me feel like I didn't belong with my siblings..

Jack came up to me and placed a hand in front of my chest and pushed back slightly. I scooted backwards, and he nodded in approval, then walked away. My father, Ajax, was laying in a dog bed in the far corner, already wearing his navy police vest. His fur was identical to my siblings, and it was easy to see where my siblings got it from. On his neck was a thick black collar that had his name printed on it in bold white letters, Jack used it to clip the leash to. 

"Here Ajax." Jack called my father, and he quickly got off the bed and ran to his owners side, siting in an upright position next to Jack's legs. Jack gave him a quick rub behind the ears, and afterwards walked to the door, poking his head out.

He spoke, but his voice was muffled to my ears. I slightly turned my head to the side to see all of my siblings in the exact same position I was. My eldest brother was sitting up straight, towering over one of my sisters, with his tail wagging. He was a real bully when it came to food. Where ever we were going, I hoped it wouldn't be with him. 

Today was the day we got our official trainers who are actually going to train us to be real k-9s like my dad! Some of us will get to go with the police while others go off with special forces, it all depends on what trainer picks what puppy.

I just hope I get to do something exciting! I thought to myself. I wanted to be out in the field saving lives, just like my dad did! 

"Here we are gentleman, 8 young puppies waiting to be trained." The Jack spoke again from in the room, opening the door behind him and in filed a number of men, all dressed in uniforms of different origins. The last guy came into the room, and I looked at him quickly, he wasn't in uniform, but in casual wear. He had brown hair and was very, very tall.

I cocked my head slightly to the side as the men glanced around at my siblings. I knew they were all bigger than me and looked more impressive, but there was 8 guys and 8 puppies, so someone had to choose me. Right?

"All the puppies are from the litter of Ajax and Molly, two of the best dogs currently on duty in the city. The two were specifically chosen to breed Molly's agility with Ajax's size and strength. The puppies will be between 70 to 90 pounds when finished growing, even the girls, and will have highly developed fast twitch muscles for speed and agility. They're the prefect military companions." Jack finished his small speech and looked at all of us, along with all of the men as they weighed they're options.

I sat up as straight as I could and puffed out my chest as far as it could go, holding my one floppy ear up high instead of letting it fall like normal. Hopefully the men see me as no less than all the rest.

The one guy not in uniform stepped forward towards me, leaning on one knee in front of me.

"Hey little girl.." He muttered and I cocked my head to the side, letting my tongue fall out of my mouth. He smiled and reached out his hand and rubbed behind my ear. Automatically my back right foot started scratching at the ground and I leaned into his hand, my ear flopping back into place.

Oh this feels nice...

"Mr. Grady, It seems you've made a friend" Jack before came up behind 'Mr. Grady'

The scratching behind my ear stopped and I got slightly disappointed.. I was enjoying that. So instead I leaned up on my back legs and placed my front paws on his knee, my tail wagging happily.

"Yeah, I pick her" Jack looked unimpressed and annoyed, his face turning downward with dissapointment.

"Because of her size she'd be more suited towards drug detection than active duty." Jack tried to convince him otherwise. 

"Oh she'll do just fine." Mr. Grady answered, again starting to rub my neck. Jack sighed.

"Alright. Let's just hope you can bulk her up a little. With how small she is, I wouldn't expect her to do much."

Try me bitch.

Mr. Grady looked unhappy and rolled his eyes.

"Don't listen to him, you'll do great." He reached behind him and pulled out something from his pocket.

"Bailey" he toyed with the name on his tongue. "I like it. Bailey it is then." He placed it around my neck, and I realized it to be a metal chain with a dog tag, literally an army dog tag, with Bailey engraved on it.

I yipped happily and licked his hand. Owen laughed and rubbed my head once again.

I'm Bailey!