1.1

UNEDITED

Previously

Already having made up my mind, I pushed down my pain and ran, as fast as I could on 3 legs, into the tree line in the opposite direction. Knowing they would be heading for Main Street, and knowing the road curved around, I went in the opposite direction in an attempt to cut them off and meet them on the way there. Currently with the speed I was going, I wouldn't be fast enough to catch up to them the way they were going. Play smarter, not harder, as someone said in a movie Owen watched once.

\\ //

My leg, back and side were putting me in much more pain than I wanted. Currently, as I was trying to limp my way through the forest, I could feel the sticky red substance leaking its way from my body and soaking into my fur and vest. I winced as I slowly climbed over a fallen log, a whine escaped my mouth that hung open.

My painting had increased in the past few minutes that I'd been moving as I was beginning to become exhausted. My throat was dry and raspy, even swallowing was a painful task.

I knew I was just about halfway to main street, the scene of the previous massacre falling far behind me. Knowing that main street is where Owen, Claire and the boys would be heading, I kept my pace as fast as I could with a limp, as I needed to meet them there.

Come on Bailey! Just a little farther!

I encouraged myself to push my body through the forest, forcing my tiring muscles to keep moving instead of giving up and collapsing like they wanted to.

Another log came into my path, and I whined at how this one was taller than the previous, being suspended higher up in the air, but not enough for me to climb under. Carefully, I lifted my weight so it rested on my back paws, and lifted my one good paw to meet the tree so I leaned on it. I took a second to catch my breath, trying to get my panting under control. Holding my injured leg in the air, and making sure I didn't bump it, I jumped off my back legs and tried to use my one paw to pull myself up onto the log.

Pain shot through my back and side as I did so, flames spreading across my skin. I whined loudly, yelping and screaming as I fell back onto the ground, more pain going through me as I collided with the ground. My whining continued as I didn't move, just trying to stay still as the pain subsided slightly.

Crunch

My ears flipped backwards, picking up the sounds of a footstep crushing dried leaves beneath it. I tried moving my head to get a better view of who was walking towards me. No one came into sight, they were still too far away.

The pain in my back went down enough for me to try and get over the log again. Slowly, I struggled to push myself back to my feet. Once I was standing on 3 shaky paws, I faced the log again. Once more, I put my god paw up on the branch, but this time, I also put one of my back paws so it was up against the log as well.

Jumping off my one leg still on the ground, I used my other back leg to push myself over the log and used my one good front paw to pull myself over. It still hurt as I fell over the top, so my attempt at landing didn't go well.

Flopping onto the ground, yet another shot of pain spread through my body, forcing another whine out of my mouth. My breathing was deep and heavy, my lungs screaming for more oxygen. My throat was scratchy and dry, a soreness building up within it.

Get up Bailey! Owen needs you!

Holding my breath, I forced myself up once more. Once on all 3 legs, I began my trek all over again.