Epilogue

Owen hated it. The quiet apartment he'd moved into. It was far too large for just him, and way too expensive. Why did he even pick this apartment in the first place? He wasn't sure.

He'd moved in nearly a month ago, and had gotten fully settled in. Gotten furniture and decorated the place. It was still pretty bare however. Owen was never one for interior decorating.

The sun had already set, the golden glow already gone from the windows. Owen was currently cleaning up the dishes he used to make some dinner. He'd tried to make chicken parmesan, but only ended up burning the cheese to the pan, making it impossible to get off. Apparently scrubbing with steel wool for 10 minutes does not do the trick.

Giving up on the cheese, Owen dried his hands, grabbed the half empty bottle of beer and retreated to the living room, where wrestling was playing on the TV. He flopped onto the couch, sinking in and took a drink from the bottle. His eyes couldn't help but glance over at the cabinet beside the TV. Two glass doors encased a shadow box, with a wooden box below it.

Within the shadow box was a metal chain, a dog tag hanging from it. Bailey - Best friend and guardian was inscribed on it. Above it was a photo of the german shepherd in her armoured vest. It was their first day together on the island, first day of the their new job, and Bailey happened to be sitting on the porch out front of Owen's bungalow. The sun was setting and Bailey looked so happy with her tongue hanging out of her mouth. Owen just had to take a picture.

Getting up and walking over to the cabinet, he opened the glass doors and grabbed the small wooden box. A gold name plate was on the front, with Bailey written in it. Owen sighed, feeling his eyes begin to moisten. It had been only a month and a half since he'd lost her, but it felt like an eternity.

He missed waking up to her nagging him to let her outside, he missed when he would sit out on the porch with her curled up around his feet. The days where he would do nothing but sleep and she would be right there beside him. How she was trained to bring him a beer, close the door or hit the lights switch when he went to bed. How she would scratch her back leg when he itched the right spot on her neck. How she snored loudly when she slept upside down.

Her single floppy ear...

Feeling a tear slip down his cheek, Owen put the box back on the cabinet shelf and closed the door. He went back to the couch and sat back down, putting a foot up on the coffee table. Although his foot accidentally knocked over the beer bottle, it breaking into a bunch of pieces upon contact with the hardwood.

"Ah crap!"  Owen groaned. Getting up and being careful not to step on the glass, Owen went to get the things to clean up the mess. A broom, dust pan and wet cloth. He brushed up the larger pieces in the pan, and picked up any of the small pieces with the cloth, immediately chucking it after.

Lifting the lid of the garbage can to empty the dust pan, the smell hit Owen's nose.

"Oh my- " He coughed and quickly discarded the glass and cloth into the bag. The smell was disgusting.

"That needs to go out. Right now." He decided. Grabbing the bag, he lifted the lid and quickly lifted the bag out and tied it off  quickly. He noticed something was dripping from the bottom.

"Great.." He muttered, grabbing another bag from under the sink to double bag the garbage. After that was done, Owen was good to throw on a pair of runners and take the garbage out.

Going down two flights of stairs, he made it to the main floor quickly. Pushing open the front door to the complex, the chilled air of the November air hit his skin. Owen shivered lightly from the cold wind. Walking fast down the few steps to the street, he jogged around to the dumpster in the alley.