Chapter 2

Okay Kate’s right. I panicked and jumped to a ridiculous conclusion far too early. There is nothing Ollie said that remotely hinted that he was going to break up with me I can see than now. Neither is he cheating on me I also realise this now. But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t about to tell me something important and I still need to get to the bottom of this. I look at the clock. Finally I’m allowed to go home. There’s no point hanging around here at work I’m not going to be able to write anything now. My brain is in too much of a jumble to do anything of remote value or worth. I jump to my feet, frantically collect my stuff and hurry home. I really need to talk to Ollie I can’t allow this to boil up and get out of hand. Things between Ollie and I have a bad habit of gathering momentum and turning the simple into the complicated. Before I leave Kate calls after me reminding me not to do anything stupid. I’ll try to remember that.

The second the door closes behind me Rosie the around the house helper rushes towards me with a dress concealed in a bag draped across her arms. Which, I have to be honest scared the living daylights out of me. I may have jumped a little…“Izzie, Mr. Daniels left these for you,” she explains placing the dress and a letter in my arms. “Is he not home yet?” I question anxiously. She shakes her head and my heart drops. Where is he? I’m usually always last home. Well, I suppose I am early. “But he left these and he says it’s urgent you read the letter straight away,” she finishes seeming really excited judging by the glowing grin on her face. I know Rosie and I are usually friendly but her current beam is slightly off putting. “Right, thank you,” I reply slightly flustered. I look from her to the dress and she keeps watching me expectantly so I carry the dress and note upstairs to the bedroom. I carefully place the dress on the curtain pole and curiously unfold the letter and read it.

Izzie,

I have got something really important to tell you. Could you meet me in the park in our usual place, by the swings, at 6:00? I got you a dress for the occasion I hope it fits!

Ollie xxx

P.S. love you lots like jelly tots xxx

I frown while reading the letter. What on earth is he planning? I read it again searching for a clue then flip it over to check if there is something written on the back. But there’s nothing. So what does he want? I glance at my watch and I’ve got an hour so I turn my attention to the dress. Inquisitively I carefully unzip the bag and smile with joy as I catch the first glimpse of the dress. God he knows me well. This is exactly the sort of thing I would buy. The dress is absolutely stunning.It’s a gorgeous royal blue that falls just above my knees. I quickly whip it on and take a look in the mirror. It fits me perfectly. I spin around like a little girl and feel the material softly graze my skin. Okay so because he has put so much effort into this dress and he’s probably not going to dump me I guess I couldjazz myself up a bit, head on down to the park and play along with his little game.

An hour later I’m on my way to the park with my hair styled, make up perfect and wearing a pair of my cutest high heels, (I have to wear cute high heels I’m too clumsy to wear the towering ones.) My feet click against the pavement as I walk down the road with a skip in my step. My fingers brush past the cool stone arch as I enter into the park. The sweet smell of freshly mown grass and flowers swirls into my lungs filling me with the essence of pure summer. The sun is skimming the ground painting everything with a golden glow. The rays skim my skin making everything seem warm and pleasant.

I’m rather intrigued so I whiz over to the swing area in a flash. The questions are building inside me and the breath is catching in my lungs from sheer anticipation. I hurry round the corner and with a big intake of breath I search the swing area with a crazed excitement. But he’s not here, not yet anyway. Feeling slightly let down I slowly amble over and sink onto the swing. I was in such a hurry to leave the house that I forgot my watch and my phone so I have no idea if he’s late or if I’m early so with nothing left to do I sit and wait rocking myself backwards and forwards. After what seems like a couple of minutes I take off my shoes and deposit them next to the swing. If I am going to be waiting here I may as well be comfortable. Another couple of minutes pass and still nothing has happened. The curiosity is slowly building up inside me again and I’m itching to know what on earth Ollie is playing at. I’m getting agitated and I’m looking from left to right over and over again so now I look like some demented meercat. Then, just as I’m about to go mad with intrigue, something breaks my concentration. The soft melodic twang of acoustic guitar floats across the park reaching me on the swing. I scan the area and sure enough someone is on the bandstand strumming away. It’s strange I’ve been coming to this park for years and I’ve never seen anyone play music here. It’s quite beautiful everyone suddenly slows to a stop to observe the music. Complete silence descends on the park apart from one guy and his guitar. They should get more people to play music here its lovely. I immediately recognise the song, Marry Me by Train one of my favourite bands. I absolutely love this song the lyrics are adorable. Then, after a couple of bars, a trio of singers cut in and sing along. Their voices mesh together to create a stunning harmony. It’s breath taking the way four people just gather together effortlessly to recreate such a beautiful song.