Chapter 15

A/N: I am really sorry it has taken me so long to update. January exams are terrible and when I wasn't revising I was too tired to do a thing. Thank you for your patience and I hope to update a lot more frequently now I actually have a little, tiny bit of free time. If I ever do stop writing for a long period of time again please remember that it is not because I have given up it is just because I am working impossibly hard in the hope that I can get into a university. Thank you so much for sticking with me and here is the long overdue update I hope you enjoy :)

___________________________________________________________________________

If I am being perfectly honest I really am not looking forward to reading all this mail. It is perfectly clear why there has been a sudden influx in fan mail. It has to be the entire Melody thing. They can’t be good surely. I can’t take on a well known celebrity and come out triumphant. Everybody probably hates me. It was miraculous enough that I survived the Natasha incident, I can’t do it again. The entire population of the UK most likely hates me and I am going to have to read through them all while reliving the whole thing because I need to tell Kate what happened as well.

Kate walks back into the office with two mugs of tea and two muffins. “Double chocolate, your favourite. I thought you could do with a little sustenance while we do this,” she explains lifting up the plate of muffins. It seems strange that a while ago I would have wolfed it down without a second thought. But now I know the damage it could do to me. I am the fiancé of a film star I have to alter my entire life and that means no wolfing down anything, especially not double chocolate muffins. “Thanks,” I smile but I delicately push my plate to one side. Kate doesn’t need the caution I have to take and she happily eats hers. I jealously watch her as she picks up the last of the delicious crumbs and pops them into her mouth.

We come up with the system that we each take a bag, read each letter at a time, make notes on the key points of each letter so I can reply later and then move onto the next bag once we have finished with all the letters of the bag we’re on. To my absolute shock they’re all quite positive. Well actually, I’ve yet to come across a negative one. I’ve finished explaining to Kate everything that has happened and her reaction to the story has really made me feel better. But that’s Kate she always knows the right thing to say and after a short conversation I feel like another weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Two hours later and Kate and I are starting our last bags and I still haven’t come across a single hate letter. The first one I pick out has been hand written which is different from all the others which were typed. It’s really long as well almost three pages. One paragraph in and it’s already my favourite fan mail I have ever received. It is from a sixteen year old girl who has struggled with her self confidence since she began to get bullied at the start of secondary school. Apparently I have given her inspiration. She talks about having a role model who is not obsessed with her weight and is intelligent. The letter almost makes me cry. Looking at the muffin I suddenly realise I have let this girl down. I have been in her position before and it’s hard. It’s hard when the popular girls put you down for being intelligent. I have let this poor girl down. I fold up the carefully written three pages and tuck them gently into my pocket. Feeling really guilty for letting so many people down I decide to change. I reach over to the muffin unravel the packing and take a huge bite. It feels so good. The rich chocolate slides down my throat and fills my stomach with warmth. I take another huge bite and another and in no time at all it’s completely gone. I even eat the last of the tiny crumbs. It is not until I have eaten every last scrap that I realise how hungry I actually am. I feel the letter in my pocket and decide that I can’t live this way any longer. I am going to start eating again. “You ate that quickly,” Kate laughs. “Did you not eat at all when you were away?” she adds. She meant it as a joke but the truth is she’s right. I barely have eaten a thing lately. It is making me ill. This can’t be healthy.