Chapter 26

Emmie doesn’t have any words when she takes her first sight of me in my dress. She just shakes her head in disbelief. After she struggles in vain for some words to say she just pulls me into an awkward hug as not to ruin our dresses. I’m so dazed it takes me a while to notice that she is not wearing the hideous bridesmaid dresses Cora picked out. The floor length emerald green dress she is wearing is actually stunning. She catches my questioning looks and then smiles.

“What? Do you think you were the only one wriggling out of the terrible dress situation?” she asks me with a smile. I chuckle as I admire the dress.

“It’s lovely. You look lovely,” I say.

“Yeah but look at you,” Emmie laughs while gesturing to my dress. I jokingly do a twirl for her trying my best not to get the foot of my heels getting trapped in my dress.

“I know it goes without saying, but I’m so happy for you,” she tells me as she grips hold of me before I have the chance to topple over.

“To think a little over a year ago I was a jobless nobody,” I giggle as the entire idea of how far I have come suddenly seems ridiculous. How on earth did all this happen to just one person?

“Izzie, you were never a nobody,” she says gently. That makes tears well up in my eyes. I feel like cursing because I promised myself that I wouldn’t become a hysterical bride.

“That’s strike one. You’re not allowed to cry,” Emmie warns me. I take a deep breath of air to calm myself which helps.

“Come on then, we’ve got to show everyone else,” Emmie says while grabbing my hand and leading me out the door.

The rustle of my dress as I carefully walk down the hall fills my stomach with a giddy glee. In the living room, waiting for me, are my other three bridesmaids, Mum, Dad and Ollie’s parents; all waiting to get their first sight of me in my wedding dress. With a nervous anticipation I edge open the door and listen as the previous chatter immediately stops. I can distinctly hear my Mum as she takes a sharp intake of breath. I’m slightly nervous but the excitement bubbling up and rising within me is too strong to bear. So I push open the door a little more and then walk into the middle of the room.

I can’t help but grin as all eyes are on me from the moment I step into the room. I look from face to face taking in everyone’s stares of amazement with a glow of pride. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this beautiful, ever felt this lucky or ever felt this indescribably happy. I look at Mum who immediately responds with a deep breath in the hope of halting the tears which are watering up in her eyes. The intense happiness shining inside me suddenly manifests itself in a desire to cry with pure joy but thankfully one of my bridesmaids is on the ball.

“No! No one is allowed to cry. Especially you Isabelle,” Mandy instructs. At this Kate leaps up off her chair and opens her handbag which seems to be able to hold an impossible amount of objects. After a few moments of rifling through what appears to be a survival kit stashed away in there she produces a packet of tissues and begins to bury my face in an assault of tissues.

“Okay, I’m not crying anymore,” I say with determination in order to stop Kate. It takes her a few more moments to believe me but eventually she puts the tissues away. I make a note to avoid crying at all costs. Although this seems like it will be a hard task to manage as when I look back around the room not only is my Mum crying but so is Ollie’s Mum and Emmie.

“Please stop you’re going to set me off,” I beg, keeping in mind Kate and her tissues.

“We’re just so happy it’s not the god-awful-you’ve-been-swallowed-by-a-marshmallow dress,” quips Mandy. I shoot her mock death glares and she sticks her tongue out of me.