Chapter 27

I am hoping its normal for a bride to lose the function of her lungs moments before walking up the aisle. For the past ten minutes my breathing has been some what erratic. Sharp, shallow and quick. I tried everything to restore it to normal but in the end I gave up. Partly because it was a waste of time and partly because my Mum started asking me if I was feeling well when she caught me holding my breath while the make up artist scrubbed mascara tracks off my cheeks. Apparently I was turning blue. I tried to explain what I was doing but my mind was elsewhere so my reply didn’t make much sense at all. So after that embarrassment I resigned myself to an inability to breathe properly.  

I don’t particularly know why breathing has become such a challenge. I don’t have Cora ruining my wedding to be nervous about and I’m certainly not nervous about marrying Ollie. I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life. I guess its just anticipation. I don’t see how it could be anything else. I’ve never had a problem with breathing before now.

We walk our way through the grand hall of the stately home. I grip onto Dad’s hand as if my life depended on it as Georgie, Emmie, Kate and Mandy follow us behind. The doors to the ceremony room are opened and I am greeted with the sound of string instruments begin to play ‘One Day Like This’ and the flower girls start to totter down the aisle. The sight before me catches the breath in my throat as I see just what Ollie has done. Flowers adorn the room in such beautiful, vibrant shades you hardly know where to fix your eye. The colours are soft greens and creams with plants such as Ivy entwined here and there. The fresh shades make me think of a forest in the warmth of spring. The sun is streaming in through the grand, Georgian windows lighting up the entire room. It is an intimate gathering of a select choice of family and friends with no bitchy ex-girlfriends insight. Basically Ollie has somehow recreated the image I had pictured in my head of the perfect wedding. The music swells to a crescendo and I step into the room.

At that moment Ollie turns to look at me and in that instant my breathing returns to normal. All the stress of the passed couple of months melt away and finally I feel like my normal self again. The girl who quarrelled with the celebrity she had been thrown with to no end.

The way Ollie’s eyes light up on locking with mine tells me that this is where I am meant to be. No other has ever looked at me in that way and neither would I ever want anyone but Ollie to. I attempt to retain every detail of that one glance and store it in the most important memories of my life. There is no hiding the smile breaking out onto my lips.

Its not usual practice, but I can’t help it, the moment I reach Ollie I let go of Dad’s hand and throw my arms around him. He has to stumble back slightly in order to catch me. The sound of his chuckle ringing in my ear sends a jolt of pure happiness through me.

“You are just…” I can’t even get the words out. So the endless list of words which could be tagged onto the end of that phrase linger. I’ve called Ollie quite a lot of things during the time I have known him. Arrogant, a nuisance, childish and rude for starters. Those words still come into play occasionally but they’ve generally been replaced with words such as: amazing, wonderful, lovely and perfect. But out of all the hundreds of words I have used to describe him, I can’t seem to pick one that manages to sum up all I feel for him now. So instead I just laugh softly.

“I hope I didn’t panic you too much,” he says.

“You nearly caused me to have a break down but I recovered. What you have done is…” and once again words fail me. But he must get what I mean.

“To make things better you didn’t even stumble when you were walking towards me. You displayed a rare spurt of elegance.”

“You have no idea how relieved I am. Speaking of relieved, how on earth did you manage to ditch Cora?”