Chapter 20

The car pulls up outside the characterless, towering, glass monstrosity that my sister calls a home. They’re meant to be luxury flats but I can’t imagine a worse place to live than here (but that’s probably something to do with the fact that my sister lives here more than anything.) “Izzie maybe you should calm down,” Ollie says but in his voice there is still a tension of fury. “Why should I?” I snap while slamming the car door behind me. “Because what if Cora is just messing with us? We shouldn’t blame Georgie until we know for sure,” he explains.

“It’s Georgie, of course she bloody did it,” I hiss in anger while stalking towards the gates.

“That’s exactly the sort of thinking we don’t need,” he corrects me. In frustration I stop walking and face him. “I just think we should go in with an open mind,” he adds gently.

“Fine,” I say abruptly before continuing to storm towards the gates and punch in the code to get it to open. Too impatient to take the elevator I enter the building and dart up the stairs as fast as I can while Ollie follows behind trying to catch up. “Izzie you said you would stay calm,” Ollie reminds me as he stumbles up the staircase behind me. “I am calm,” I snap angrily as I reach the right floor and throw open the doors with a shuddering bang as they are thrown against the wall. “Izzie things between you and your sister aren’t exactly great, please don’t make it any worse,” he pleads just before we reach the door to Georgie’s flat. His words strike a burn of furious rage to flame through me. “You have not spent your entire life living with her. You have no idea what it has been like for me all these years. I had finally sorted things out but she just can’t let me be happy with my family,” I screech at him in anger. For the first time since my hospitalisation Ollie does not tip toe around me. “By marrying you she becomes my family and I would rather not be at odds with my sister in law, this isn’t just about you,” he shouts angrily. It feels good to finally be back to normal. Ollie and I aren’t meant to get on perfectly all the time and to be honest it was driving me to insanity. The other day I accidentally shrunk a bunch of Ollie’s ties in the wash and I was hoping he would shout at me for it. Before the accident he would have gone into childish sulk mode and we would have ended up having an argument. Now I know what you’re thinking, why the hell would anyone want to fight with their fiancé? The thing is, as much as I adore Ollie, he infuriates me sometimes. So occasionally it is nice to vent a bit of frustration and arguing with Ollie is never really cause for serious concern. When we first met all we did was argue its harmless squabbling. We just have a really weird relationship where arguments bring us closer together weirdly enough. It sounds really unhealthy and it is impossibly hard to describe but it is really not as dysfunctional as it sounds. I think it has something to do with the fact that Ollie and I are both argumentative people and if we don’t have arguments once in a while we will explode. So hearing Ollie raise his voice to me for the first time in quite a while fills me with a strange mixture of both relief and exhilaration, intermixed with the pre-existing fury of course.

“So what, you want me to allow my sister to walk all over me just to humour you?” I ask in anger.  

“I’m not asking you that. I’m just asking you not to go charging in there without a full grasp of the situation. It’s just common sense, but of course you don’t have any of that,” he adds scathingly.

“You’re so bloody superior, aren’t you? Perfect, famous Ollie who is so bloody fantastic he knows someone better than the sister who spent her entire life growing up in her shadow. Well I’m sorry we can’t all be perfect like you,” I retort.

“You’re being ridiculous,” he shouts in fustration.

We had been so wrapped up in our argument we seemed to have forgotten where we were. It didn’t occur to us that our shouts would probably be heard from the nearest flat which of course was Georgie’s. Neither did it occur to us that she would recognize our voices and go out to investigate why she could hear her sister and soon to be brother in law creating quite a fuss in the corridor outside her flat. The look of alarm on her face when she opened the door to find us glowering at each other prompted us to swiftly take account of out surroundings. “Fizzy? What the hell are you doing here?” Georgie questions in surprise.  “What is going on?” a voice asks from behind us before we can answer Georgie's question. We all whip around to see a disgruntled looking women glaring angrily at us due to the noise Ollie and I were creating I presume. However in about a second the scowl fades from her face to be replaced with a vacant expression of shock complete with a gaping mouth and the inability to speak. “Oh, my, god,” she splutters breathlessly. “Ollie Daniels! You were telling the truth!” she adds to Georgie after a few gasps of breath to regain herself. Ollie is getting much better at meeting his fans. He’s stopped getting moody and grumpy for starters but he still gets uncomfortable. In the corner of my eye I see him back away and shift his balance from foot to foot in agitation. “It’s hard to tell if what comes out of her mouth is the truth, isn’t it?” I say bitterly.