Chapter 19

“Hidden clause? What hidden clause?” Ollie erupts as he begins pacing backwards and forwards turning abruptly each time. His face is furrowed in anger and his eyes are shining with indignation. I gently lift my head out of my hands to catch a glimpse of Chelsea. For the first time since I met her she looks flustered and genuinely quite scared. “Did you not get some lawyers to give it a glance?” he questions again in a roar.

“Of course we did. Like I just said, Cora hid it so subtly in her contract that is was impossible to detect,” Chelsea replies as she drops the documents down to the desk in frustration. “So what can we do about it?” he asks gaining a bit more control to his voice by lowering the volume.

“I’m afraid we can’t do anything. The contract is binding. You can’t fire Cora and her input into your wedding is irremovable,” she answers quietly. It’s obvious that Chelsea is ashamed of this accident. Her cheeks are flushed, she’s stumbling on her words and pulling a pained expression on her face. But it was just an accident. I can’t blame her, after all how many times have I made a mistake which has ended in disaster? After the initial shock of despair passes I find my humanity and lift my head to offer her a small smile. “I’m sure you did everything you could,” I say quietly. Of course it must have been a strain to hear me over Ollie’s renewed volume as he spews profanity in an incoherent rage. But I’m sure she catches my reassurance as she nods in my direction and her expression of embarrassment eases up a little. “There’s absolutely nothing you can do?” Ollie questions after overcoming the rage which had previously taken over. “It doesn’t matter,” I say quietly. He stops pacing immediately and snaps his head around to look at me slumped in one of Chelsea’s chairs. “Of course it matters it’s our wedding day,” he replies, finally settling himself back on the chair beside me and lowering his voice to an acceptable level. “There’s no point creating a fuss over something we can’t change. The point is I’m marrying you and that’s all I need out of this. Besides we can always renew our vows, count that as our wedding day and obliterate this one from our memories,” I say calmly. At that Ollie exhales slowly and finally the anger fades. “I’m sorry Chelsea, I overreacted,” he apologises. Chelsea simply nods but inside I can tell she is bursting with relief, or at least I would be if I was in her situation. But I guess Chelsea has more reserve than me.

We leave Chelsea’s office both in a cloud of misery. “Well at least we tried,” I say with a smile to attempt to brighten the situation but it doesn’t have the desired affect on Ollie, he remains just as gloomy. “I just can’t believe we have to have that woman in control of our wedding,” he says miserably.

“Well there’s no point sulking over it. This is our wedding day, stop treating it like a funeral,” I reply in exasperation.

“I can hardly get excited about a wedding myself, my bride and most my family and friends will hate with a passion,” he retorts in annoyance.

“Look on the bright side,” I instruct.

“There is no bright side,” he cuts back sulkily.

“Oh come on misery guts, it’s not all bad,” I say trying to put a smile on my face but it’s a little forced.

“Alright little miss sunshine, go and name me five good points about our wedding,” he demands. I know I am trying to be optimistic but truth be told it’s not optimism it’s ignorance. I’m just not thinking about it which allows me to deal with this. And I am struggling to pick out a plus point. “See you can’t do it,” he declares triumphantly.

“Give me a minute,” I snap.

“You need a moment to consider just one good thing about the wedding?” he asks mockingly.