Chapter 18

In the end I didn’t get the dress. I really, really wanted to and the pain was akin to a mother leaving her child when I had to leave it behind in the shop. But I need to wait until I have put on more weight before I can pick the right size and get the right fit. Besides I haven’t spoken to the wedding planner in weeks so it might be an idea to talk to her first before charging ahead and buying a wedding dress. I finally got around to setting up a meeting with Cora. I suppose it was a bit reckless of me to have such little contact with the woman who is organising my wedding but considering my situation it’s hardly a surprise. When I called her she was determined to have lunch at this new fancy restaurant which has just opened up but I vehemently refused. The last place I need to be is in a stuck up restaurant under the watchful eye of scrutinizing onlookers calculating every calorie. So I managed to get Cora to agree just to come around to the house. Besides it might be nice to involve Ollie in these wedding plans, after all it is just as much his day as it is mine. Well… maybe 60/40 I am the bride after all.

Most normal people would be excited to hear the plans for their wedding day. But if you know me at all, you know that I am far from normal and with Cora as my wedding planner I am dreading whatever new editions she has made to my big day. She’s only sent me a few vague emails which have done little to keep me up to date, despite my constant questions and queries. Each of them end with the same sentence. Everything is under control. But that’s the worrying thing. Everything is under her control which means anything could happen. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if she told me I will be riding into that awful venue on an elephant.  But I suppose I can put up with the venue and elephant rides if I have the perfect dress, which I do. And it really is the perfect dress. It may sound utterly pathetic but I keep going back to visit the dress at the shop. The day after I found it I went back to show my Mum the dress, (she loved it!) Now I am taking anyone I can think of to visit the dress. I’m not joking, that shop has become my second home. It kills me that I have to wait to buy it. I want it to be my dress.

But I really am nervous about this meeting with Cora. Other than the venue I have very little knowledge of my wedding and not that I am a control freak bridezilla or anything but it would be nice to have a bit of an idea of how the day is going to pan out. I haven’t really talked to Ollie much about the venue disaster. I’m guessing Cora isn’t exactly cheap and we are spending a lot of money on this wedding (in addition most of the money comes from him,) so I don’t really want to complain as I will just sound ungrateful. So I bottle up all my internal rants. Anyway Cora is a well known wedding planner, it can’t be that bad.

Cora eventually turns up, fifteen minutes late which does little to settle my nerves. But for Ollie’s sake I keep up the pretence that I am perfectly happy instead of being very worried indeed. She bustles into our house with quite a few files this time wearing an unpleasant combination of luminous yellow and blinding white. “Izzie! Long time no see! My, aren’t you looking thin? Good work on all that publicity with Miss. Bloom by the way,” she exclaims. I jolt at the mention of Melody. But judging by Cora’s smile she doesn’t see anything inappropriate about the topic. I see Ollie’s jaw clench at the mention of Melody but even more so at the mention of the ‘t’ word. I can tell he is extremely angry and I know he is about to say something. But I grab his hand and squeeze it tightly. When he turns to look at me with a questioning gaze I simply smile at him briefly. “Did you not get my email?” he asks in a strained voice.

“The email?” she asks in confusion. “Ohhh that email!” she adds after a little pause clicking her tongue on the roof of her mouth due to her own forgetfulness. “Yeah sorry to hear about that Izzie, but at least you’ll look good in the dress now,” she continues much to the shock of Ollie and I.