Chapter 7

Something pulls me out from a deep sleep causing me to become completely disorientated. Immediately I turn over to wrap my arms around Ollie and snuggle back down into sleep, too tired to work out where I am, but he isn’t there. My heart thuds numbly as I remember why. I had completely forgotten that I’m in Emmie’s spare bedroom. I went home from work hurriedly grabbed some stuff and then dashed over to her house as quickly as I could so I didn’t have to see O… you know what he’s going back to O because I am so mad at him I don’t even want to say his name. A feeling I distinctly remember from the early days of my relationship with Ollie. I begin to toy with my engagement ring wondering whether I should even be wearing it any more. I don’t even want to think about this it’s making me sick. I slam close my eyes and decided to leave all this until the morning when my brain won’t be dazed by sleepiness.

But it’s no use I can’t fall back to sleep again. I roll around for about a minute unable to shut down again. Finally I realise the reason I was dragged out of my sleep; there are hushed voices conducting a rather furious argument downstairs. Without thinking I kick off the sheets and stumble out onto the corridor. I begin to descend the staircase carefully and as quietly as possible. Emmie is stood by the door furiously shaking her head and using the door to put space between her and whoever is stood outside but because of the way she’s placed the door I can’t see who she is talking to. I crane my neck but its no use and if I lean over any further I’ll probably end up tumbling down the stairs. So for the first time I tune into the conversation to see if I can recognise the voice. It hits me immediately the voice is Ollie. I can’t deal with this, not now, so I spin around and I quickly ascend the stairs once more. But in my haste I cause one of the steps to creak rather loudly and the next thing I know Ollie has shouted my name. I wince, turn myself back around and join Emmie by the door. Emmie is still guarding the door ferociously refusing to let him put a foot in the house. “Ems its okay you can let him in,” I inform her placing my hand on her arm. “Well only if you want to this is your house after all,” I quickly add. She nods then lowers her hand. “If you cause trouble you’re dead,” Emmie threatens, that’s actually the scariest I’ve heard her sound. Ollie seems just as taken aback as I am. I look at his expression of shock and suddenly it’s my turn to wear an expression of shock. His eyes are red and watering, you can even still detect the path tears have traced their way down his face. He’s been crying. Crying quite a lot by the looks of things. My stomach drops to the floor and my mouth turns dry. I’ve never seen him like this. He’s so good at bottling up emotions it’s really quite unsettling to see him like this. “I just want to talk,” he informs us pathetically.

“Are you going to be okay?” Emmie asks me.

“Yeah go back to sleep. I’ll see you in the morning,” I inform her giving her a hug. She nods and then leaves Ollie and I alone.  

I lead Ollie into the living room and carefully close the door behind me. “Izzie please, please don’t leave,” he begs suddenly. “Come back home, please,” he continues. “I should never have taken the job, I’m so sorry… I”

“It’s not the fact you took the job, it’s the fact you didn’t tell me,” I interrupt him trying my best to stay mad at him because he looks so miserable I can barely muster the strength to shout at him. “I know but it was a very last minute deal and…,” he takes one look at my expression and then trails off. “No, you’re right. No excuses it was stupid and immature and irresponsible. But I didn’t think I was being those things and I certainly didn’t want to make you feel unwanted or unimportant. You are the most important thing in my life which is why I asked you to be my wife. If it really makes you unhappy, then you come first no questions. I need you more than I need anything else in my life.  I’ll call Chelsea and tell her to tell them I can’t do it,” he explains.