Start of Something New

~Alex~

It was a regular Monday at school. People were reminiscing about their weekends, running pointless 5 k’s and partying and having sex and everything, while I sat at home on my laptop scrolling through pictures of cats on the internet. That was my weekend. My mom had been busy all weekend with some new uncharted disease that was spreading like wildfire around the city.

I sat down in my seat, barely noticing my friends walking like lost puppies behind Carter. Everyday it’s the same. Carter walks in with his adoring fans, while I sit there and watch in disgust. I never really liked Carter to begin with.

He magically showed up in ninth grade from Nowhereland in Texas, and all the girls are all over him. And he enjoyed it. Really enjoyed it. And everyday for the past three years I have sat there looking at him flash a smile and flirt with girls who he didn’t even know. I gagged at the thought of it.

At least my friends have some sanity about themselves. They know when to stop, or I think they do. Like I said, every day’s the same, and it didn’t change when Abby and Megan see me they plop down next to me saying, “Morning little bitch.”

“Good morning,” I responded in my usual morning tired dragging voice. They went on gossiping something about how Carter went to a party and how they can’t believe they missed it.

I rolled my eyes and laid my head down on the table. I looked out of the window and saw a man walking back to his car. He was really pale and he needed a tan badly. Too bad it was a foggy day. My eyes rolled over to Carter, and I thought I could make out his eyes looking at me. But they instantly dashed down to his phone. Then Annie, his obsessive ex, sat next to him and started shoving her boobs in his face. Classy, I thought

My eyes drifted back out the window, and I saw a bright flash of light whip past our window. Startled, I jumped, and sat up.

“Did you guys see that?” I asked.

“See what? Jesus calm down Alex,” said Megan.

I shook off the strange light I saw, and looked out of the window. The man was gone, but the car was still there. Whatever, I thought.

“Good morning class,” Mrs. Hawkins said walking in with a stack of papers.

“Here goes my day,” I whispered getting out my binder. Class went on as usual. Nothing really interesting. But if you think learning about how Huckleberry Finn affected the outcome of stupid World War II good job on you. And that’s exactly why I’m failing that class. She doesn’t make sense in her lessons and she makes the tests so hard it kills my grade every time.

She expected notes to be on the lesson, however more were being written on who hooked up on Saturday night. The most dreadful part of my day was nearing an end, when the intercom blared on.

“ALL TEACHERS! ALL TEACHERS! LOCK THE DOORS! CLOSE THE BLINDS! STAY INSIDE. WE ARE CALLING A SATE OF EMERGENCY. TURN YOUR T.V.S ON THE NEWS. STUDENTS CONTACT YOUR PARENTS! AGAIN…”

there were grunts in the room as Mrs. Hawkins did as she was told. Last week we had an intruder alert, and had to stay in school for and extra hour just so they could find a robot that went rouge from the Robotics team. I just slipped a piece on gum in my mouth and sat back in my chair.

The TV came on and the volume was turned up. The old thing only got three channels: News, Sports, and Soap Operas for the lonely teachers of the school. This one was automatically set on Channel Five, and the news anchors came on.

“Hundreds of people in Lincoln Park have disappeared after a burst of lighting ran horizontally through the park. We have a video taken by a bystander's phone, who dodged the light just as it came by.”