It's Not My Fault

~Carmen~

I barely got any sleep last night, though I don't think anybody else did. We snuck into this hotel in the middle of downtown after we all visited our homes. The only person who's mother was there was Sophia. Of course she stayed with her, I mean I would've done the same thing. And we were all happy for her, but then we were left with a whole new wave of depression. Not only did we loose another one of our friends, it actually hit us that there was a very small chance of us finding our parents.

My mom and dad were MIA, along with the others. "We just stay together," said Blake. "We can find some place where some adults will know what to do."

I knew there wouldn't be anybody that knew what to do, no matter how old they were. We were hopeless. And I wasn't just talking about the five of us. The whole world was hopeless. Unless we got some super indesructable force feild around the planet, we were going to go extinct.

After we got into the hotel, we just sort of sat in a circle. We didn't say anything, though the heavy depression and fear in the air was speaking for itself. We missed Freddy. We missed Sophia. We missed Craig. I missed Craig.

I cried myself to sleep thinking about how he just gave up his life for us. For me. I wasn't worth it. I really wasn't. His life fore mine? It didn't equal out.

"I love you. Stay safe." Those words haunted my sleep. I'd never heard him so serious in my life. Why didn't I ever kiss him? Why didn't I ever want to spend more time with him? Why didn't I ever accept his date requests, or his attemps to "seduce" me? All he ever did was love me, and his final words were I love you.

I felt so guilty. I felt guilty that he had to die to keep me alive. He should've lived, not me. All night I cried and cried, those five words haunting me in my sleep. Images of his smiling face falshed in my mind like a slideshow. I thought I even cried in my sleep.

I felt someone shaking my shoulder very voilently while shouting, "Carmen get up! We have to go. Get up."

My eyes were stinging from the ammount of tears they poured out the night before, and I had a massive headache that beat having a hangover. I just pulled the covers of the hotel bed over my head and helplessly curled up. "Dammit Carmen. Craig is gone! Okay? He's gone and we'll never see him again! So just get your ass up and-"

"He saved us!" I screamed, sitting up right. A lump grew in my throat as I tried my best to fight back tears. "He saved all of us, and now you're just gonna say it like he did nothing?"

"Carmen..."

"Shut up Natalie! You have your fucking boyfriend here! You don't know what the hell I'm fucking going through right now! None of you do!" I let one tear slip from my eyes, and it just led the way for more to spill out. "None of you care! You're just out for yourselves. You don't care about anybody but yourselves."

"How can you say that?" Katie shouted. "We all loved Craig. And he's not the only one we lost yesterday. God I would think you'd be more devistated about your parents rather than some guy that you teased to no end all year."

"I didn't tease him," I protested. "And he's not the only reason why I'm crying. Freddy's gone and everybody else that we knew. And you guys are just going to keep going like nothing happened?"

"That's the only way to keep from going crazy Carmen," George shouted. "We have to keep going."

I was suddenly blinded by that light that I knew all too well by now. A ear peircing shreik filled my ears as I ducked down under the covers. I was wailing at this point. Crying and shaking with fear and anger and every other negitive emotion that this whole thing as spurred up inside of people.

The light died down, but I stayed under the covers just in case. "Stay safe." That's what I had to do. Stay safe. It was his dying wish for me to stay alive.

"N-Natalie?" I poked my head from under the covers and looked around. One...two...three. George, Katie, and Blake. That was it. No Natalie. "W-wh-wha-"

George came up to me and snatched me up by my arm. His big hands clenched my upper arm tighter and tighter, and he had the look of pure rage on his face. He made me stumble out of the bed, and as I fell to the floor, pain shot through my ankle making me scream.

"Shut up," he growled. I jumped and gulped at this normally fun-loving guy. He was so angry. "Stand up."

I did as I was told and scrambled up, trying not to put any weight on my ankle. He gritted his teeth and looked over at a now histeric Blake. "If you would have just gotten your ass up, she'd still be here," he hissed. "This is your fault Carmen. She gone because of you, and so is Craig."

"No," I said. "No. It's not my faul-"

"Shut up!" he shouted. "Yes it is. Look at him." I twisted my head towards Blake, and saw that his eyes were wild with a mix of anger, confusion, fear, and heartbreak. "He's already cracking. If you would've gotten you ass up like how I told you to from the beginning, this wouldn't be a problem."

"B-but...I didn't do anything."

"You're right. You didn't do anything. You didn't get your ass out of that damn bed. You didn't do anything. Now shut up and let's go."

He gripped my arm again and started pulling me towards the door. After ordering Katie to bring Blake, he nearly pulled the door off it's hinges trying to open it. "No!" Shouted Blake. "We can't leave! Not yet. S-she was just there! I saw her. She was there. She's just scared, she's still hiding. That's all. We have to look for her."

We weree nearing the stairs when George turned around to face me, his face redder than a tomato. "His hysteria is your fault."

But it wasn't my fault. I didn't do anything wrong. I didn't do anything. But...that was his piont. I didn't do anything, and that was the issue. So was it really my fault?