Taken

~Craig~

I walked inside of my school, still searching around and looking for any of those lights. I knew that there was a very, very small chance that Carmen was still here, but there was no reason for me not to look. Of course on my way from the warehouse, I looked in just about every single building I could find. It took a long time, and it was around 1:00 of not later.

I spent the whole morning looking in places I knew she wouldn't be in. But my mind kept saying, "Go look in there Craig. Go look in that place.", and my body would follow. So even though I had the school in my mind from the beginning, it took me forever to get there.

And now that I was back, I vowed to search every single classroom, hallway, breakroom, lockerroom...anything really that people would be or where people would hide.

However the stench was horrible. It was death. I looked in some of the classrooms on the first floor, and saw that there were dead bodies everywhere. I didn't know how they died, but they were there. Pale lifeless bodies, most of which were near the doors or windows.

Some people were trampled, making the smell of stale blood hit my nostrils hard. Others died from I don't know what. A lot of people were banged up pretty badly, and flies had already found their bodies.

I saw a lot of people that I knew. Some old friends, exes, teachers, even people that I only said "hi" to every once in a while. They were here. The ones who weren't taken were dead, everybody else ran out of the building.

All I could do was whisper a sorry to them. Every time I opened a door, there would just be bodies. And all I could do was say sorry. I couldn't do anything for them. They were gone.

I was pretty much done looking for her in this school, mainly due to the fact that I was now dry heaving at everything. All of the contents in my stomach were gone, and there was nothing to do but gag and let air come out of my throat.

On the third floor, I heard the cries of a little girl. The third floor was were the history and english classes were held. I couldn't imagine why a little girl would be up there. But I continued to the sound as I carefully stepped over abandoned bags, papers, cells phones, tablets, even water bottles and keychains. Basically anything that a high schooler would be carrying in their bags.

I finally got to the sound of the crying. It was a English classroom, where I think the seniors and juniors were, though I'm not that sure. I opened the door, and the same image of dead teens and teachers smaked me in my eyes.

I took a deep breath, not caring about the smell and whispered, "Hello?" I didn't hear anything but the same childish wailing that I heard outside. "Is someone in here?"

The little cires stopped and the kid's breath hitched. "Ty?" Ty? A tiny brown skinned girl appeared from behind the teacher's desk. She was wearing a butterfly dress and had two really big poofy pig tails. Oh my God. This is Sierra.

Her face went from entirely happy and hopeful to downright disappointed. She started crying again and ploped down on the floor.

"Hey. Hey no don't cry." I carefully stepped around people and picked her up.

"I want Ty!" She screamed in my ear.

Damn she could shout. I rubbed her back and started towards the door. "It's okay," I said. "Your brother's okay. I talked to him last night. He's fine."

"Really?" She started hiccing up her tears and wiped her face. "Ty's okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. And he's looking for you right now." We were now in the hallway, and the city was livid. More screams than yesterday, more people running, and explosions were going on. Goddamn. What the hell is going on out there?