Right Before My Eyes

~Suzanne~

“Morning mom,” I said as I walked in the kitchen in my sport bra and panties.

“Good God Suzanne put on some clothes,” she said, adverting her eyes from me.

“First of all, I’m your daughter. You don’t have to move your eyes away from me while I’m half naked. You changed my diapers for Christ’s sake. I mean unless you’re into that kind of thing, which would be gross.” She just laughed and rolled her eyes. “And anyway I would sleep with clothes on, but you have yet to get the AC working and I get very hot at night.”

“Was that a reference to something sexual?”

I paused. “Maybe.”

She grumbled and picked up a bagel. “Suzanne, you know money’s a little tight right now. Just turn the ceiling fan on high when you got to sleep. And don’t cover yourself with fifty blankets.”

“Mom, you know I can’t sleep without the weight of the blankets on my back. It makes me uncomfortable.”

“Well then there’s no point in complaining about the heat then is there? And anyway I thought you left for school and hour ago.”

“Nah,” I said as I hopped on to the counter. “It’s a teacher work day. We don’t have school.” I did a handstand and walked to the bowl of apples on my palms. “You’re dressed casually.”

“They changed casual Friday to Monday.” She took a bite out of her bagel. “Can you get off on the counter?”

“Oh mother.” I picked up and apple and slid to lie down on the counter. I stretched out my body and let my black hair fall on my shoulders. “You’re funny. You see when you took me out of gymnastics, I didn’t have anywhere to play around.”

“So the kitchen is your play ground?”

“Yep. And I think I should get a scooter you know?”

she threw her head back and laughed. “And where is this idea coming from?”

“Michael has one. He drove me home on Saturday, remember?”

“But Michael is sixteen, and you’re fifteen. You can’t even drive a car yet.”

“But mom-”

“The answer is no sweetie.” She walked over to me a kissed my cheek. “I gotta go. Remember to lock all of the doors and put the alarm on. And also close the windows unless you put some clothes on okay? Oh and by the way we’re having fa-gee-tas tonight.”

I sighed. It didn’t matter if my mom was born in America, she still struggled with her semi-broken English, and pronouncing Mexican food was an issue for her. “You mean fajitas?”

“Is that how you say it?” I nodded and she started laughing. “No wonder…we went to lunch the other day and I ordered fa-gee-tas and everyone looked at me like I was insane.”

I hopped of the counter and kissed her back. “Jesus Christ mom. Bye!” she laughed and walked out of the door and I watched her out of the window as she drove off. I huffed and went to the restroom. There was no reason to take a shower now. I just was too lazy to feel water on my skin. And with the morning bustle, most if not all of the hot water would be gone by now. I just had to wait.

I checked myself out in the mirror, than I had to stand on my toes to see. I was short, very short. Like four eleven short. Not even five feet, compared to my mom who was almost five eight. Thanks genetics. You’re a real help.

The bright light right above the mirror made my almond milk colored skin shine, and my brown eyes sparkle like little gold flecks were in them. I had a bird nose. That’s what I liked to call it. It was small, but it looked like a birds’ beak and I hated it. My rosy pink lips stood out the most on my face, and I puckered them and made the typical Asian girl peace sign. “Damn sexy,” I told myself. I checked my hair, and suddenly wanted bangs. Yea. That’d be nice.