Everything Changes

~Carmen~

I walked into the door of my Spanish class. This school was an absolute failure. How the hell are you going to put a Dominican, who is fluent in Spanish, in a Spanish class? That doesn’t make sense. But I was glad I was there. It just added to my GPA. I wouldn’t be able to do French. It’s too hard.

A normal day in the classroom went like this: George and Freddy would be in the back of class, throwing paper balls at people in the front of the classroom. Blake and Natalie would be in the corner swallowing each other’s tongues. Sophia and Katie would be gossiping about how much of a slut and a whore Natalie was. And Craig would be sitting next to me, trying to get me to go with him on a date.

It went on like this, even if the teacher was in class. She would spend most of the time trying to calm down George and Freddy, or break up Natalie and Blake. But they couldn’t be broken up. Those two loved each other. They loved each other with a passion. Those two were inseparable.

Just like clockwork, Craig sat down next to me. “Hey baby,” he said. I felt his hand on my thigh, and I slapped it away.

“Leave me alone Craig I’ve rejected you a million times already.” I turned my head away from him and stared out of the window. Hands crept on my shoulders and I elbowed him in his stomach. “I said leave me alone, Craig.”

I heard a thud on the ground and I looked back. He was curled up in a ball, holding his hurting gut. “Okay…I’ll leave you alone if you go on a date with me.”

“No!”

“Please?”

“I’ll say it in Spanish. No!

“Then how about a kiss for good luck?” he stood up and leaned in to kiss me. I put my hands on his chest and pushed him back, but he still kept progressing. “Don’t let me kiss you!” he teased.

I laughed and leaned my head back. “That’s what I’m trying to do! Craig stop it!” the truth was that I liked Craig, but I had to keep up this charade until I got everything sorted out with my ex. He still thought we were dating, and got mad every single time he saw me with any other guy. I didn’t want him to hurt Craig, so I had to keep this dammed thing up.

My hands slipped and he fell ontop of me. We crshed to the floor and he grabbed the sides of my face. I laughed and screamed as he planted a huge wet kiss on my cheek. “Ew! Craig. You got spit all over me!” he was kissing me all over. My forehead, my cheeks, my nose, everywhere on my face that had skin, his lips were pressed against it.

“Stop it Craig!”

“But baby I love you!” he continued to kiss me.

“Hey Craig I’m pretty sure that’s rape,” I heard George say in the back.

“It’s not rape if she’s enjoying it.”

“But I’m not! Dios mío my face is all wet!” I shoved him off of me and wiped my face with my shirt.

“That’s not gonna be the only thing that’s wet toni-” I slapped him and told him to shut up. Everybody oohed and started hooting like some hillbilly parade.

I sat back down in my chair smelling like Craig’s spit, and got out some sweet smelling lotion. I spread it all over my face. “You know that’ll only attract me to you even more,” Craig said.

I looked at him, then at my loition. “I’ll take my chances.”

“Alright class! Settle down. Settle down,” Mrs. Sanchez said. “George and Freddy stop throwing paper at Lauren!”