Where Is She?

~Ty~

My school was gone. The city was gone. Everybody disappeared from those things of light flying everywhere. My classmates, my friends, my girl. She disappeared in my arms. I was holding her close to me, trying to protect her.

“Ty I’m so scared,” she whispered in  my shirt. “What’s happening?”

 “I don’t know babe. But I’m here alright. None of those things are going to get you.”

 "Ty? Ty I love you.”

I never got to say it back. I never got to tell her I loved her back. As soon as she said those words, they took her. nothing but empty space was left in my arms. I could still see her silhouette. I could still feel her sweating head against my chest. The flowers still in her frightened shaking hands.

Why didn’t they take me? Why’d they take her? She was gone, and there was nothing I could do.

I felt so empty. I felt a pain in my chest where her laugh, and her smiles, and her everything was. I’ve never felt worse in my life. She was gone. That was it. She was gone and I was still here. Half of me was gone. I couldn’t go on. they all disappeared. I was the only one left. I was alone.

Walking down the street to Sierra’s daycare. I didn’t care if they told then to stay inside, I needed to get my sister. I felt like a zombie. My legs felt like they were giving out on me, just as my heart was. I saw a few people crying, huddled around corners and hiding in alleys. I didn’t care. I just needed to get home. I needed to see my mom. My baby sister. They were honestly the only ones who could help me right now.

“Ty! I wanna go with you today!"

“You can’t princess, but we’ll get ice cream when I pick you up, okay?”

I figured the same thing happened to my brothers, the reason why they disappeared. I had left the door open. Dammit why did I leave the door open? I could’ve just closed it, and they’d be alive right now. They’d be okay, and we’d be together. We’d at least have each other to hang on to.

Now they were gone. They were gone because of me. I willed myself not to cry, I did my best not to break down in the middle of the street and just wail like a baby. There was still a chance I could have my sister back. I could still have my sister. She could be okay, and we’d get through this thing together. Me and her.

I was holding on to that idea. The idea of my sister and I just surviving this thing together. I felt my sanity teetering on the thin line of hope that my sister was okay. My mind being twisted around like Play-Douh. It could be bent one way or the other based on the answer to one question: Is my sister okay?

I found myself not thinking about my mother so much. She never answered her phone when I called. I was sure she was at home, but then again I wasn’t. That’s where I left her this morning, right? Or was that Felix? I was sure she was at home, but was she really?

And my brothers could’ve just walked to school like I thought in the first place. They could’ve just high-tailed it to school without me. That way there would still be a chance of them surviving, being alive, there would be a chance that they were okay.

Ty you idiot. They’re dead and nothing you say will change that.

What was that voice in my head? What was that in my head. I beat my head on my hand and shook the thing out of my head as my thoughts drifted back to Sierra.

She would be fine. Absolutely fine. That daycare had like a fence around the whole thing, those light things wouldn’t be able to get in. And the teachers were really great at protecting the kids from anything. They’d protect them from anything. It would be fine. She’d be fine.

I felt the area around me get warmer and warmer, and before I knew it, I was right in front of a burning building, with two people holding guns at each other. There was a girl, with light brown hair, and the boy definitely had dyed his hair bleach blonde.

I was about to go over there and try to convince both of them to drop the guns. I mean, they were both teens, both around my age. I wanted to stop them before they did something the regretted, but I thought better of it, and dropped my naturally helpful behavior. “I don’t have time for that shit,” I murmured, and I walked away.

The streets got more deserted as more and more people either disappeared, died of that gas I’d heard of, or just locked themselves in their houses and apartments and office buildings.

I knew the questions I was supposed to be asking myself. What’s going on? Where’s the military? Where’s the air force? What are these things? What exactly is happening?

But I didn’t care. The world could be going to hell-and as far as I knew it was-but I only had one thing on my mind: FIND MY GODDAMN SISTER

It seemed like forever, mainly because I’d gotten myself lost, but I finally made it. I made it to her daycare.

I huge and overwhelming sense of joy and hope filled my body as I ran into the small building. I gripped the door handle, which was freezing compared to the intense heat on my palms. I twisted it, but it was locked. Good, I thought. Those things can’t get in. But then as I tried it again, I started getting agitated. The more it didn’t work the more irritated I got. I cursed and kicked the door in frustration.

Kicking the door. Why hadn’t I thought of it. I leaned back, then shoved my entire body weight into the door, and it burst open, sending chips of cracked wood everywhere.

As soon as I got in, I went to screaming her name. “Sierra! Sierra honey where are you? Sierra!” There was no answer. The further I went, the more terrified cries of children filled my ears. I didn’t care unless it was my sister’s. I went to calling her name again and I was still left to the teachers and children’s hushed cries.

“Ty!” I heard. I whipped around, hoping it was my sister, but realizing that it was only her teacher. “Ty you have to stay here with us.”

“Where’s my sister?” I asked, ignoring her words. “Where’s Sierra?”

“Ty…”