Seperated

~Troy~

The midnight sun was shining brightly on the corn feilds we passed. Stars shone in the night like God had dropped a shit load of glitter in the sky. But it was a cloudless night, and I was sitting here on this truck, with Suzanne's hand in mine.

She had her head on my shoulder and was playing with one of the new tears in my jeans. Maybe it was entertaining, maybe it wasn't. I don't know. But she was too preoccupied with pulling the little strands of fabric to notice me staring at her.

I wanted to know what she was thinking. I wanted to know what was on my friend's mind. I wondered if she was thinking about me, or if she was just thinking about what happened to her in the past fourty-eight hours. I wondered if she was thinking about her mom, or even the father she never met.

I wondered what it would be like to kiss her. Like really kiss her. Passionate, intimate, secret kiss. Not the lust filled, primal, tounge thrashing stuff we did last night, though it was pretty hot. But not that. I wanted to know what it would be like to just hold her safe in my arms. To kiss her and keep her safe from all of this.

"What the hell are you doing to me?" I said in a barely audiable tone.

"What?" She asked, looking up at me with those almond brown eyes. "Did you say something?"

"Uh...," I wanted to ask her what she was thinking about, but I didn't know how to do it. I wanted to ask her if she was okay, but I couldn't find the words for it. I wanted to kiss her, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. "Nothing. Leave me alone you asshole."

"Whatever jackass." She repositioned her head on my shoulder and went back to playing with my jeans.

Well that was stupid, I thought. I started feeling annoyed. But why? I was fine this morning, when we did this sort of name calling, but now, it was like...I don't know. It kind of...hurt that she called me a jackass. I mean, even though I knew I was, and I knew that's what she thought of me, I didn't want her to think of me like that.

I wanted her to get to know me, even though I pretty much showed her everything that there was to me last night and this morning. I was an ass. There was no doubt about it.

But I could make up some really deep character that has this really fucked up life and that would explain why I acted like an ass.

I sighed and shook my head. That would never work. "Are you okay?" She asked me.

I stared at her, and she waved her hand in my face, kicking me out of my trance. "What? Oh. I'm fine." Troy if you don't take this fucking chance... "But how are you doing? I mean like...are you okay and everything?"

"Besides loosing my mother and basically everybody else I knew and loved, and having you as a friend, I'd say I'm doing great."

At least she thought of me as a friend. "I feel the same way."

"No you don't." She said simply, and went back to my jeans.

We stopped after hours of driving, and the soldiers hopped out of their spots. "We're here," one of them said. "Come on everyone. We'll get you in there. Just line up so we can help you down."

Everybody let the elderly people stand first. There were about three of them in our car, and they were all taking up whatever they had left of forever to get up. I was getting annoyed. A lot more annoyed than before.

I grumbled and started tapping my knee. "Hurry up damn old people," I murmured.

A hand firmly grapped my tapping legs and squeezed it. "Stop it," said Suzanne. "Be patient. We'll get there. It's not like they're running out of spaces for us."