6: Little Talks

You put your books back in your locker and looked at the things you've pasted on the inside of the locker door. Letters from your old best friend, photos of them. And one polaroid of your old crush and you..

Memories.

You closed the door, jumping a bit, startled to see Dave Strider standing there, leaning on the locker next to you. He was wearing a jacket those jocks wore. The school jacket.

You smiled, because you weren't mean. "Hey Dave, can I help you with anything?"

"Yes, actually." He raised two fingers. "Two things I need help with.

One, you walk home with me."

You looked at him. "That's crazy. I don't even know where you live."

He smirked. "Right around John's house, which is right around yours. Basically, I'm walking you home."

Before you could deny, he put an arm around you and you both walked down the hall. You felt looks of envy shot at both of you.

You sighed and pushed his hand off. "What is your motive, Strider?"

"Nothing, I'm just trying to be nice. Is that a crime?"

"It is when you put your arm around me, making everybody think I'm your girlfriend."

"How is that a bad thing?"

Oh my gosh. This Strider kid practically looked like a playboy. Flirting around with girls. Even though you've never actually seen him do it with anybody else.

"What else do you need help with?" you asked as you both stepped out of the school boundary (AKA the gate) and down the street.

"I need to know why you think I don't like you."

You looked confused. "Who told you-"

"That's not important," he cut you off. "Answer my question."

You stopped walking, and so did he. He was looking into your eyes, even though you didn't notice. What you did notice was that, woah, he was tall.

"You tend to ignore me with people around. You only talk to me when nobody is there, only when you don't have anybody to talk to. And you don't have that welcoming vibe that John has. It's just.. I know. That feeling. When someone hates you."

He sighed. "How could I possibly ever hate you?"

You shrugged, looking down. "I'm not as pretty as your friends.. And I'm not that girl that everybody would want to be friends with. Maybe you're jealous I've been hanging out with John lately."

He laughed. "Jealous? Never.

Alright then, let's start over."

He ran his fingers through his blonde hair and put out his hand.

"Hi there pretty girl, my name is Dave Strider and I'd like to be your friend."

You laughed a bit and looked at his hand. You sighed and collided it with yours, doing a gentle handshake. You looked up, laughing a bit more and smiling.

"Hey there tall blonde, my name is (First name) (Last name) and I accept your invitation. You are now henceforth my friend."