Chapter Fourteen

Nyah’s P.O.V

"Well, Well What Do we have here?" A voice said.

They both looked up at the same time

Like a light bulb Jerome's mood just switched. He became dark again.

Funny thing life isn’t it, you think you can run away from your past but life always seems to chase no matter how far and fast you think you can run. You finally get caught and trapped, forced to deal with the inevitable. I stared into those eyes, brown with dark pupils, almost identical to mine. I sighed as I knew what was coming next, he would shout, I would end up crying even more heartbroken. This is why my mum and Kevin stayed away from him, but I had to be the little daddy’s girl, he was different back then, I was his little princess … but then I grew up and finally saw what was right in front of me. Pure evil filled the once peaceful atmosphere with his mere presence; he had that effect wherever he went. Then it dawned on me, how did he find us here? No one knew where I was, not even my girls.

A gentle but firm push from Jerome broke me from my thoughts, I finally remembered the awkward position we were still in and quickly moved away.

“Dad.” I whispered still trying to convince myself of the man standing in front of me.

“Child.” He stated in an expressionless tone. His thick Caribbean accent masking that single word, a hint of that dark humor that he seemed to have mastered over the years.

Considering your child that ran away from home months ago without warning or any information on her whereabouts was right on front of you, anyone would at least expect some kind of reaction. No, never, not my dad. I guess some part of me just thought … a sigh escaped my lips as I realised how unrealistic and childlike that was. I really need to grow up.

I dusted myself off and stretched my hand to help Jerome up from the floor. He looked at my hand simply nodded and proceeded to help himself up. I slowly breathed in, now how long was he going to shut me out this time. I frowned as he finally got unto his feet, he simply nodded yet again. The next thing he did took me by surprise.

I felt a cold rush up my spine as his skin came in contact with mine, he was holding my hand. I blushed instantly as he stared into my eyes and simply nodded, his eyes never leaving mine, he began to walk towards my dad. The opposite of his confident and masculine stride and my slow pace and eyes solely on the ground was evident.

No, I wasn’t scared of my dad. Our relationship wasn’t a secret to him and quite frankly his opinion meant nothing to me. Its just that, Jerome had never, ever been so upfront about our relationship. Even if he only held my hand, I felt so much support from just this seemingly mediocre contact between the both of us. A gentle squeeze from his hand, lifted my heart and shielded me from any pain that I would soon receive.

My thoughts were interrupted as Jerome came to a sudden halt causing me to stagger behind him for a second. I looked up to see my dads gaze on our hands held tightly together, his menacing gaze seemed to burn a hole through my skin. I felt Jerome slowly slip his hand out of my tight grasp; I looked up into his eyes and saw a moment’s sadness in them before they quickly turned hard as he glared at my dad, who was now grinning smugly.

“What?” I asked trying my hardest to control the new found anger that was boiling up inside me. He stared at me shocked for a second before letting out a slow, deep chuckle. I stared at him confusion stirring up in my head. “Are you deaf?”