Chapter 13

The numbers crawled as I readied myself. The lift doors jumped before sliding open ominously. The club was vacant and dark, the only lights were emanating from the fridges by the bar. I stepped into the darkness cautiously. The lift doors closed taking most of the light with it. Putting one foot in front of the other silently and slowly, I moved to the nearest wall. Sliding my hands across it as I walked the circumference of the room. My ears picked up a strange but faint noise. It was moving, and muffled. I stopped. Squinting into the darkness, I noticed a figure. Two figures. Only about a metre in front of me, in a booth. They were in an intimate embrace, it was a man and a woman. The man was kissing her neck while she was moaning quietly. They were being extremely secretive. My eyes adjusted a little more and I could make out the mans tell-tale tuxedo, he was standing in between her legs as she sat in the booth. As her leg raised up against his hip it pulled the bottom of his jacket up, allowing me to see a gun. He was part of the mafia. Crap.

They hadn't seen me get out of the lift so perhaps they wouldn't hear me sneak passed? Deciding it was probably a better idea to continue to try and find the front door, I moved away from the wall to pass the couple. I was only a couple of feet away from the wall and I felt unsteady. One mis step, one brush against a piece of furniture and its all over. I plastered my eyes to the floor and wobbled past them. Sure that they were behind me, I moved back to the wall. A draft wafted against my bare legs and I moved towards it hopefully. My hands slid against a door, there were no windows but my fingers found a bolt. Before trying to unlock it, I stopped and cocked my head to try and navigate where the pair were. It was silent. Too silent.

All of a sudden, I was shoved hard against the door with a rock hard body behind me, there was something sticking into my lower back. I squealed before a large hand covered my mouth. Alcohol fumed breath hit my face as a man spoke behind me. Aldo.

"What are you doing, idiota?" He hissed, "and what an inconvenient time you chose, I was having fun, Rosa" I suddenly realised what was sticking into my back. My legs gave way as his arm swooped under them, he threw me over his back impatiently. 

"No, no! Please, Aldo! Just say you never saw me!" I yelled as I pounded pathetically on his back.

He just laughed as he pressed the button to the lift, suddenly dropping me to my feet and placing two steel grip hands on my shoulders. I knew what he was capable of so I didn't push my luck.

Biting my lip as hard as I could, I tried not to cry. I was so close. All I could do was stare at the floor until the lift doors shuddered and parted. Aldo tensed next to me. I looked up into fierce, icy eyes. Marco. He looked furious, he glowered over me. His jaw was clenched, his fists were balled up and his eyes were viciously cold. He looked murderous.

We all stood there for a moment, even Aldo looked terrified. Suddenly, Marcos hand moved like a viper, striking forward, it grabbed my wrist and yanked me into the elevator. Without a glance toward Aldo, he punched in the number for the right floor before returning to his previous terrifying position. I self consciously pulled down at the shirt that he gave me as he glared at the numbers that were slowly climbing. The silence was ominous and petrifying. As soon as the doors opened he yanked me along with him.

I had never seem him this angry. Even Aldo had looked surprised. I knew I was in trouble and I knew that there was a good chance I would never have that opportunity ever again but what I didn't know was what terrified me right now.

I didn't know what he was going to do.