Chapter 17

My head lolled as I returned from the darkness. Smell came to me first, I could smell cigars, the scent of metal and damp. There was the rusty, metallic taste of blood in my mouth. Sound entered my array of senses. I could hear echoing voices murmuring to one another in inaudible tongue. Slowly, I opened my eyes, taking in my surroundings. We were in a grimy, metal room. The floor was damp and certain corners contained dark puddles. I assumed it wasn't water, considering the reddish brown colour. I tore my eyes from it, feeling my stomach lurch and cold sweat make my hair curl against the nape of my neck. This room reminded me of the movie 'Saw' a great deal.

The walls were windowless with areas of rust. There was only one steel door. In front of it were three men in suits. All of their eyes rested on me, menacingly. I tried to sit up when I felt a sharp pain in my leg. Yelping, I automatically moved my hand to it. But my hands weren't moving. I tugged, realising rope was wound painfully around my wrists, securing me to a cold, metal chair.

"Finally, your awake," One of the taller men rolled his eyes as he spoke, he had black hair that swayed at his shoulders and a tanned face, "She's been waiting,"

"What? Who?" I answered, trying to keep my voice steady.

He ignored me, flipping out an iPhone and leaving the room. The door creak and slammed behind him. I studied the two men he had left, one was short, quite chubby and pale while the other was skinny and tall.  I bit my lip, what am I doing here? Were these the people that attacked the club? They must be. I  thought back to the club, I had hated it but I would so gladly be there rather than here. I thought of Marco. Marco!

"What happened to him?!" I burst out, sitting up and startling my guardians. 

They glanced at each other before the short one answered me, "what?"

"Marco, Marco Pacciello." 

The taller one answered with a sly voice, "We weren't there but I bet they did what they have always wanted to do to that rat. I bet they gutted him, tortured him. If he survived that crash at all." He smirked as he shot the words at me. 

I tore my eyes from their repulsive faces. I couldn't tell what my emotions were as the door suddenly swung open and the man with black hair strode in first, followed by two other men and then a woman.

The woman gazed at me, wrinkles becoming more prominent as she smiled. 

"Mom?" My voice quivered.

She just smiled at me. She was wearing black jeans, a leather jacket and a blouse. Her hair was up in a pony tail and she had long, fake black nails on that looked more like the talons of an eagle. She looked so different from he mother I once knew, except her face. Her face still carried that warm expression I had remembered, it created a definitive contrast next to her clothes. 

I didn't know what to feel as I stared at her. She walked over and kneeled in front of me.

"Your alive," I said, disbelieving. 

"Yes, I'm here, baby girl." She placed a hand on my arm as if to assure me she was real. She noticed the wound on my leg. "Oh my, what happened?" She stroked my leg.

"Wait, you know what happened." I said, crossing my eyebrows. She had sent them after me in the first place. I tugged at the rope. She looked at my expression before removing her hand and changing the subject.

"Never mind about that." She saw me wince at every movement I made, why wasn't she freeing me? 

"What happened to Marco?" I probed.

"Don't worry about him," her lips pursed.

"What have you done?" My voice was escalating as the accusations came rushing out, "Where have you been? Why am I here? Why aren't you helping me? What-" She cut my off, placing a hand on my knee, I shrank away from her touch.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stop it, don't be so rude, Rose." She seemed to be slightly panicking.

"Rude? Rude?!" I tugged again, yelping. 

"We can remove you from this, just answer some questions." Her eyes were becoming colder with every word, "Why were you with Marco?"

I stared at her before answering, "It was a mistake. I was at the wrong place, at the wrong time."

She looked confused, "then why didn't he kill you?"

"I don't know," I could feel the whole rooms eyes on me, it even felt like the walls were studying me.

She didn't seem satisfied with that answer but carried on probing, "Fine, where did he take you?"

"I don't know" I answered honestly, "Mom, why didn't you come back?"

She was losing her patience. "Damn it, Rose! Where were you going?!" She shouted, standing up. 

I shrunk back, shocked, "He never said." 

"Fucking hell, child." Her words cut into me, who was this person? "Stop lying to your own mother!"

"I'm not," I mumbled, biting hard into my lip. A fire raged within me as I spat out, "You call yourself my mother?!"

She set fuming eyes on me before her hand raised and her nails slashed me along my face. They left three, painful claw marks. I could feel the warm blood cascading down my cheek. She bent down and put a hand to my throat, making me look at her. I thought I would find an apologetic, regretful look as I peered into her eyes reluctantly. All I found was the fiery pits of hell as she glared down at me.

"You are in more than you know, child. More than this mafia wants you. You don't even understand how deep you are in this. We might as well finish you off, you insolent little-" The door swung open, hitting the wall and cutting  off her words as gun shots ricocheted around the room. My chair fell and my head slammed against the floor as people ran around me, a body fell next to me with a sickening thud and I shrieked. 

I felt strong hands on me and I looked up to find Aldo above me, undoing my hands.

There were various suited men and women shooting in every direction as I got to my feet with Aldo's help. I couldn't see my mother anywhere. I recognised the familiar face of Allegra, her hair swinging side to side as she fought with grace. 

There was no sign of Marco. I don't even know why I was even bothering looking for him. Aldo had to half carry me from the room because of my wounds. We entered a dingy corridor that was packed with bodies and flashes of guns. I was on the verge of consciousness as I felt cold air hit my face. We were out of the building. Somebody was calling Aldo's name. He cursed as he set me down on the pavement. It was dark out and  I could only just see him wave at somebody, motioning to me. Before he turned on his heel and ran back inside the building where guns were blazing. I was so weak I could barely hear the footsteps coming toward me. A firm hand grasped my waist, pulling me to my feet as a familiar voice cooed into my ear. "Its okay, come on, petalo.

I looked up, meeting the gaze I had been searching for. Marco. For the first time in this ordeal, tears filled my eyes, flowing down my cheeks as I stared up at him. "Your here, your alive."

He gave his usual smirk, "Last time I checked." My legs gave out totally as I fell against him, his arms were such a comfort as I slipped into darkness once more.