Chapter 20

He cursed, spinning round and staring at me.

"What?" I groaned, gingerly stepping from the bed. 

He narrowed his eyes thoughtfully, before holding up a finger, "I'll tell you, but first," He trailed off, suddenly turning on his heel and leaving the room. The door barely closed before he was back, with a tray. He put it down on a creme dresser next to the door before walking swiftly my way and gesturing to a plush armchair situated next to the bed. "Sit."

"What?"

"Sit."

"Why?"

"Just sit."

"No, what are you doing?" 

"Rose"

"Marco"

He rolled his eyes before placing two concrete hands on either shoulder and forcefully lowering me into the armchair despite my confused rebellion. I studied him as he went back to the dresser, choosing two items and heading back towards me. He had two plates, both containing toast and fried egg.

"You cook?" I could feel the surprise on my face.

"Nope, the cook had it prepared." He put it on my lap, handing me a knife and fork before taking a seat on the bed and cutting up his own. None of this felt natural. I poked the food, like I would find a vial of poison in the yolk or something.

"Hm, you're being nice again." I studied him, lifting a mouthful to my lips and chewing it slowly.

"Is that such a bad thing?" He raised his eyebrows, taking a large bite of toast.

"No, no its not. It just, makes me uneasy," I decided to be honest.

He gave me a confused look, "why's that?"

"Because I feel like its a shield, like your preparing me for something really bad. Or your planning something."

"Maybe I'm just naturally nice." I choked on some egg, suppressing laughter and earning a scowl off him. "Your not the worst company in the world, Rose."

I wiped my mouth, studying his features before taking the compliment. The involuntary smile crept across my face and I stared down at my plate. 

I felt his eyes on me as I put my cutlery together on the plate. "I thought you were hungry?" He asked, finishing off his food. 

"Just full," I lied, but I wasn't going to tell him that the butterflies in my stomach left no room for food. "Okay so tell me, whats the bad news?" 

He put his plate to the side before putting his hands together under his chin. "There is news, but that isn't why I got you food, Rose." There was some emotion brewing under his hard exterior but I couldn't quite figure it out. "We have to go down into the club, while its busy. We have some... deals to pursue. There are going to be some important people there tonight, important and dangerous." His eyes intensified as his lips uttered those last words. "They have information on matters to do with your mo- with what happened the other night." His eyes flickered as if suppressing a reaction to the memory. I nodded as he spoke, "This means you will have to come down with me, up here you are not safe. Granted, there you won't be either but you will be with me, my men will be there, Allegra's joining us. But, there will be rules that you have to obey, petalo. For your safety," He rose to his feet, turning as he uttered three last words under his breath, "and my sanity."

I sat in silence as he strode inside the ensuite, swiftly returning with a black garment in his arms. He handed it to me, it was a long black dress, there was a long slit up one leg and a low back. "Okay, uh, I'll go..." I trailed off, gesturing towards the bathroom. 

He nodded over me as I walked past, processing this information. "Oh and theres some makeup on the counter. Allegra requested you wear it." His eyes were intense as he spoke, it took my breath away. I nodded, walking into the bathroom and closing the door. 

Stepping in the shower, I let the water roll down my cheeks and taking deep breaths. Tonight was going to be a long night.