Chapter 18

Heavy eyelids fluttered and lifted as consciousness returned. I stared at the ceiling for a few moments, my mind trying to remember the events of last night. 

I was in a creme, light room with creme carpets and oak dressers. Rubbing my eyes, I dragged my body into a sitting position. As my hand moved down my face I felt three gashes. They were healing, slowly, but brought back painful memories with each throb. I bit my lip, removing my hand. Instead, I lifted the heavy duvet from my legs assessing the damage to my body. My skin was covered in bruises, blossoming darkly against the pale white. There was a bandage around my leg and pain emanated from the side of my head.

Achingly, I got to my sore feet. Glancing round, I noticed an ensuite and stumbled towards it. Inside was a sink with a large mirror above it. Placing both hands on the counter, I stared up at the girl with the broken, busted lip. She stared at me with blood shot eyes, her cheek was bruised and her skin was mutilated with three, ugly gashes that stretched from a couple of inches below her eye and travelled down her cheek. This girl, this girl was me, a broken me. 

The door clicked and opened slowly as I watched it through my damaged reflection. Marco stepped into the room, noticing me watching him. His face was open, not like the hard, cold him I had known. His eyes travelled down my body before studying my face in the mirror, he looked pained. Our eyes met and we stared at each other. I gave a small, silent, trembling smile as my eyes filled with tears. Tears that threatened to brim over and flow down my calloused cheeks. 

He walked over, placing both hand on either side of my face tearing my eyes from that girl. "Rose" he spoke softly as he cupped my face, his thumb smoothing over the wounds. I didn't reply, just put my hands over his and gently closed my eyes, letting the water drip from my eyes. 

It hurt, I hurt, all over. My emotions broke from their cage deep inside of me. Like his touch was the key and he was undoing all of my locks. The locks that I depended upon. His arms encircled me and I buried my face into his chest, holding the material in shaking fists as we both sunk to the floor. I started uncontrollably shaking as a sob broke from my raw throat. 

My heart felt like it was clenching, breaking under the weight of the betrayal, the lies, the secrets.

"Why-why does it hurt so goddamn much?" I whispered through broken sobs.

" I know, I know, Rosa." He cooed, his voice sounded raspy as he softly spoke into my ear, rocking me rhythmically in his arms.

I don't know how long we sat like this. How ever long it took for my breathing to calm down, how long it took for my body to stop quivering, how long it took until I ran out of tears, until I was too tired to cry.

Slowly, he rose to his feet, gently lifting me with him. I kept my heavy eyes down as he trailed his finger across my broken lip. 

"I think I'm going to sleep a little more," I murmured, sniffing a little as he stared down at me. 

He nodded, guiding me to the bed. I got in, my limbs weak and unwieldy. He pulled the covers over me as I nestled deep into the various pillows. He turned to leave before I stopped him, holding onto his arm. "Please, please don't leave," I pleaded, "I don't want to be alone."

He looked surprised at my request but nevertheless, lifted the covers and slid in next to me, careful not to touch me. My droopy eyes shut and I slid into a deep sleep, him next to me.

Marcos POV

Cold fingers wrapped around my wrist as I turned. Looking back, I was met with beseeching eyes. 

"Please, please don't leave, I don't want to be alone." Her cracked lips formed the words as I felt my self restrain crumble a little more with every broken plea. She wants me to stay?

I got in beside her, making sure not to cause her further pain. She was already so hurt, her skin fractured and broken like a china doll. She seemed calmed by my actions and lost the battle against sleep as she sunk deeper into the bed, unconscious. I examined her, all the damage, the beauty, the design of her face, the curve of her lips. Sleep had broken the walls and her face relaxed as her cares slipped away. All I wanted to do was repair her.