Chapter 25: A Nicked Ear

"So, do you want to talk about it?" He asks after I had stopped sobbing. I sit on Eric's lap with my ear rested against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. It was steady and comforted me like a song. But this one seemed to play just for me.

"If you stay calm, yes." Eric's very short tempered and I knew he's going to snap when he heard this. It's a good thing Bryan was in custody of Max, Everret and Pops. Although, Pops might not be as level headed as he usually is.

"I make no promises."

"Bryan and four other guys broke in when you were gone. They dragged me down to the chasm, before one of the guys got  cold feet. He was talking about how Bryan couldn't pay him enough to throw me over. Then the four guys left and Bryan hung me over. Everret came and stopped him." I say this casually. Like it doesn't hurt, and I guess it doesn't hurt. It should. 

But I always found myself so empty at times. 

"Did you hear them coming?"

"My music was too loud."

"Did they hit you?" His heartbeat gets louder and faster. It goes from a calming pulse to the sound of a raging drum. 

"I told you to stay calm." I mutter.

"I am calm," He pauses. "They hit you didn't they?"

"You're not calm."

He grabs my face and forces me to look him in the eye. I've seen hate in Eric's eyes but not like this. Although I know the hate is not aimed towards me, I still feel scared. This is a different side of Eric, a side I've never seen.

"Yeah, but I'm fine-"

"Fine! How can I you say you're fine! You nearly died tonight!" He screams and I get off his lap. He angrily runs his hand through his black hair. I see him take in heavy breaths before push his anger back inside him.

"Isn't Bryan that kid that I caught trying to choke you?"

"Yes." He smiles wickedly and sarcastically laughs.

"I'm gonna kill him." Eric stares at the floor.

"No you're not." Eric's threats, as much as he won't admit it, were mostly empty. 

"No, I am. He tried to murder a Dauntless Leader, that warrants execution. I'm going to be the one to look in him in the eyes and pull the trigger. And I'm not going to feel any remorse." He looks me in the eye and I know he's serious. 

"He was drunk.He didn't mean it. Bryan doesn't deserve to die for this."

"Why are you defending him! He's getting executed and that's the end of discussion." My cheeks  grew red with anger at his arrogant words.

I spin around, marching towards my walkie talkie. I pick it up and call for Max.

"Max call it off." I glare at Eric as I say this, and he glares back.

"What do you mean call it off?" Max says slowly.

"I mean, let Bryan go." Eric rushes to take the device out of my hand but I rush into the bathroom, closing and locking it behind me.

"Let him go! Are you crazy?" Pops yells angrily. Eric bangs on the bathroom door, yelling in disapproval. 

"Kind of. I just feel like what Bryan did was a mistake. I know you all want to execute him but, Bryan doesn't deserve this-"I defend but my dad cuts me off.

"The fucker deserves what's coming to him. He's going to get punished severely for what he's done."

"No! I feel like my opinions always pushed down because I'm a girl." I say, and Eric stops banging on the door.