The death of a star

I sat in the secret garden. Big drops of rain splashed down on the orchids, making them bob their heads up and down in a chorus of support, as if they were saying "Yes! Yes! We agree! It's so unfair that you have to leave."

For today was the day.

My week was up and Rhysand was insisting on returning me to Spring.

I sat before the statue of the golden goddess. I wish I was you I silently sent to her. Then I could stay here forever and no one could ever make me leave.

The rain drops splashed down my face, freely falling in place of the tears I held back. I was done with crying. My week of Night had been one big never ending cauldron of bubbling emotions. I had been terrified, indignant, furious, fierce, embarrassed, shy, surprised and other emotions that I was not yet ready to admit.

What a stark contrast this week had been to the empty wraith like being I was just over a week ago. Maybe that was the point. I was beginning to understand Rhysand more with each passing day. Like his tricks and charades under the mountain, nothing was ever as it seemed. Even things that appeared to be cruel and petty meanness for the sake of sport were never just that. I looked up at the gauze clad figure before me and knew right down to my very bones that Rhys' clever calculated mind was always at play. I was sure that he had more to do with this past week's events than I was willing to consider.

His Court had turned me inside out, and in the process had made me fight for my life, actually care about what was happening around me, and worst of all made me hope for something I had never even dared to dream of.

I looked back up at the statue, gazing over the flimsy gauze dress that I knew intimately well. My servants had finally given in, under constant duress, and revealed to me what this ceremonial dress meant.

The High Lord of Night's Mate.

And not just his mate but what she would wear during Calamai as he hunted her down and made love to her, their passion rekindling the magic of the endless night . I blushed, wondering if I would ever again wear that gown.

I scowled at myself. He was impossible. I couldn't even stay mad at him when we was sending me half way across Prythian, to live with my past lover. I cringed. It wasn't fair to think of Tamlin as such, but we definitely hadn't found any grounds for friendship in the weeks leading up to my departure.

I smiled as my thoughts drifted back to last night. Rhys had requested that I join him after dinner for a surprise. He had bid me wear firm fitting warm clothes and then gestured to my wardrobe with a little wink. Inside I had found a full length black leather body suit. I laughed and shook my head. When would I ever need to wear such a thing? I knew better than to question his judgement. He did everything like a perfect preemptive game of chess. I donned my firm fitting body suit and paced nervously across the room. Out side the night was pitch black without even a slither of moon. Extra lights had been added to my room this morning and now I understood why. Much of what was done in the Night Court revolved around the cycles of the moon.

I paced and paced and paced... Finally a knock at the door. He swept in, bristling with boy-like excitement. I'd never seen him like this before. He looked me over and let out an appreciative whistle before laughing at his own breach of propriety.

He was clad in a tight fitting suit, much like my own, that left very little to the imagination.

A-hem, my face is up here...  he chided smugly across our bond.

I know... But it's sooooo boring... I countered, remembering well how he had gestured to his perfect face as he explained to me Amarantha's choice to bed him.