Unexpected gifts

Hey Everyone,

Still in the midst of my crazy busy week but I had a little teensy bit of time so I whipped up this.

Hope you are all suffering as much as my poor heart was as I wrote this.

Be pre-warned there are no happy endings in this chapter.

Poor Rhysand!!! Hang in there!!!

Till next time,

Spinlight

________________________________________________________________________________

FEYRE

My feet crunched down on the reeds of the river bed. The soft light of dawn was slowly bathing everything in the golden light of a new day.

Day.

I smiled as I beheld the light again and praised the cauldron that I hadn't had to fly into the blinding rays. I had so much to do. Too much in fact - and if I didn't manage it in time I wasn't sure if I could deal with the consequences.

I set about the riverbed and admired the young birch trees growing nearby. There was something lovely and familiar about the tamed and ordered woods of Spring. As I listened to the tinkling of the stream my eyes began to feel heavy from last night's sleep dept.

No! I must not doze off...

I crawled over to the embankment and scooped handfuls of chill water, splashing it across my cheeks and feeling the cold sting of its bite bring me to life. Now fully awake I hid and waited. I prayed that I wouldn't have to wait too long.

An hour later I heard the pleased squeal of an animal, finding the gift of killed prey, left ready for the taking. I crept out from behind the tree and saw the suriel freeze as it took in a sniff of air. Its hackles rose as it spun towards me and cracked its long wicked fingers in preparation.

"You" it croaked in its raspy voice.

I was startled. I hadn't in all my hopes expected to encounter the same suriel from last time. I presumed after its capture and the naga that it would move on to a new territory.

"Me" I answered quietly.

"I came to thank you" I continued.

It clicked its fingers again and let out a hissing sound.

"Liessssss."

It pointed a long finger at me "I can smell your lies, she of the human heart."

I was unsettled by its words but I was also acutely aware that time was pressing.

"I came for answers, to save us all from Hybern."

It clicked its bony fingers again with a loud shaping sound.

"And the chicken?"

"A gift for you" I nodded.

"Why no trap this time?" it enquired.

I paused, wondering if this was a test. This creature knew all truths. I could not lie and yet I wasn't completely sure of the truth.

In my pause the suriel moved closer to me, grinning wickedly and making me wish I had come up with a better plan. If it could smell my lies, it could probably smell my terror too.

I felt my back slam up against the tree and realised I was backing away. It was so close, its demonic eyes glaring excitedly at me. I drew in a deep breath and I prayed to the cauldron this would work.