The millennial treaty

FEYRE

I awoke groggy and disorientated. I couldn't remember how I came to be in bed. As I stirred and tried to move, firm arms tightened around me and I opened my eyes to find myself wrapped up in Rhysand. My heart warmed as he nuzzled into me, refusing to let me go. Even in his sleep he was so incredibly possessive and territorial. I smiled and gently kissed his mouth. A lovely full smile graced his face as his arms hugged me firmly and then two lovely violet eyes looked adoringly at me.

"Rhys, let me get up," I whined softly.

"Not a chance!" he said firmly, rolling onto me and pinning me down even further. 

"But I have to use the bathroom?" I begged.

He grinned fiendishly and smothered me further.

"Well you should have thought of that before you scared me half to death...Again!" He growled in my ear.

I smiled despite myself, loving that this terrifying creature spent half his time worrying about me.

Please?

My warm muscular bonds slowly uncoiled and I missed their firm embrace as soon as they were gone.

I shrugged out of bed and padded off to the bathroom to take care of my urgent business.

When I returned Rhys was frowning at me. I paused and stood defensively with my hands planted firmly on my hips. It wasn't even 9am and I was already in trouble. He was worse than Nesta, even on her hungriest day.

Am not! Take it back!

Are too. I teased.

Well I wouldn't be half as mad if you stopped trying to get yourself killed. He snarled back.

His words hit me but all I noticed was the desperate and terrified emotion that washed over me.

You felt that scared for me? I asked gently.

He wasn't looking at me.

I crawled across the bed and then curled up in his lap.

Neither of us spoke.

There were no words for what was to come.

I was to be the champion. There were not false promises of everything "being ok", for nothing was ok.

I swallowed. I just hoped that when the time came Rhysand didn't ruin my perfect plan.

***

A few hours later I walked into the infirmary. Tamlin hastily stood in front of Lucien as I entered. He looked alarmed and defensive as I entered but then let out a sigh of relief when he realised it was just me.

"Everything ok?" I asked frowning in question.

He looked at me and shook his head.

My eyes went wide with shock and fear. Rhysand had promised me that Lucien was going to be ok. It was the only thing that had stopped me running down here to check on him as soon as I woke up.

"No, no, no - He is going to be fine." Tamlin stated, realising that his comment had caused me unnecessary distress.

"Then what?"

"See for yourself" he murmured as he took a step back and stopped blocking my view of Lucien.

My breath hitched in my throat and I blinked furiously trying to believe my eyes.

"When did - ???"

Tamlin chuckled and shook his head in equal disbelief.

"The signs are unmistakable." He groaned.