Chapter 5

We have all set up our tents away from Hershel's house. He really doesn't seem to enjoy our company, I mean I wouldn't like strangers coming up on my land. I'm just glad he saved Carl Rick told me he was asking for me which is weird. I'll visit him later when Lori isn't glaring at me so much.

I'm teaching Carol how to make a fire, without matches just in case she's ever in a situation where she needs to keep warm. I make a neat tepee out of the sticks while I strike two rocks together, Carol watching my movements closely along with Rick, and Daryl. I hand the rocks to Carol and watch as she tries her best to get a spark.

"No, focus. You have to hit the edges together" I instruct.

She nods. I look to see a proud smile on my brothers face he should be he's the one who taught me everything I know about survival. Hunting, fishing, setting up a tent and much more. While Merle taught me how to talk to people, how to get what I want and how to sweet talk them. Carol finally gets a spark and the fire spreads to the sticks.

"Now tomorrow I'll teach you how to start one with a stick" I smile. She nods.

I dust myself off and head to the nearest water well for a refreshing drink of water. I take my canteen and feel it up quickly craving the cold liquid.

"Carl really wants to see you" Rick walks up scaring the shit out of me.

"I will" I shrug taking a swig of my drink.

"Well..I'm gonna go see him now if ya wanna come" he suggest.

I agree and we walk into the house past a reading Hershel and into Carl's room where he sits looking really bored. I know I'd be in that situation.

"lil bit!" Carl laughs.

"I didn't know ya called me that" I reply sitting at his bedside.

"Well you look too tough to have a name pile daisy" he shrugs. "Remember that deer?" He asks.

"Hell yeah. It would've been some good eatin'" I answer rubbing my stomach for affect.

"What? No. It was so beautiful" he chuckles.

Rick sits next to me smiling at his son. Carl goes on and on about the deer I don't mind it just bothers me that we could've had some good grub for dinner tonight. Rick clears his throat making Carl's rambling Coke to a hault.

"Hershel is holding a funeral for Otis. Wants us all to attend" he states.

Carl tries to stand up but winces and lays back down. I wink at him as I walk out of the room and out to where I see Hershel turning pages in his bible with Patricia crying her eyes out next to him. Daryl comes and stands next to me with his arms crossed over his chest like usual. Once everyone has gathered around and Hershel finally finished the service. I was about to leave when Shane begins the story of how Otis 'died'.

"Save the boy" Shane finishes.

I roll my eyes and nudge my brother to follow me. He nods and we walk over to  the jeep where the map for Sophia sits on the hood.

"That story is bullshit" I whisper feeling Shane's gaze on me.

"He's a bad liar." Daryl agrees looking down at the map.