04| Strong survivor✔️

***

Tough people are not born.
They are made,
when there's no one
to dry their tears.

***

"Ki, hurry up it's time for school!" Nellie called out from the other side of the door.

My eyes widened at her voice. Rushing to the bathroom to wash my face, I wipe the dried blood off my nose. I gave myself one last look at the mirror and decided I looked decent enough not to rouse suspicion.

"Coming!" I yelled back, forcing a smile onto my face before opening the door to allow her in.

Nellie wasn't gullible. She didn't buy my cheery facade. She tossed me a deadpan look and shut the door. "Drop that plastic grin off your face and learn to cry when it hurts, Kiara. Here," She pulled out a small ointment bottle from her jeans pocket. "I got you some ointment for your nose."

I looked at her for a moment and allowed the tears to fall. It showed, no matter how hard I tried. And maybe, little vulnerability was okay after all. I hugged her while she stroked my back.

"Now, now, don't bother about that cow."

I sniffed morosely while she applied the ointment on my reddened nose. "It with be as good as new in a few hours. See, its already healing."

"But it hurts!" I whimpered as the medicine made my skin itch. "It freaking hurts so bad!"

"It'll go in a while, Kiara. It's just a matter of time."

"I hope so."

"It will, trust me."

She was right because it's a fact that werewolves heal ten times faster than humans.

I looked again at my distorted reflection in the broken mirror, drew in a deep breath to steel myself. Turning on my heel, I headed for school.

The walk to school was short and quiet. Not that we were awkward, we simply loved the solitude. I found a patient listener in her and she found a friend in me. When I was down, she held me up. When she was overworked, I stepped up to help. Together, we made a good team.

Entering the iron wrought gates, Nellie and I headed to our respective lockers. We took out our books for the first period. On the way, I passed people who jeered and mocked me. Until a few months ago hearing all that would have made me cry.

Now, I knew better than to waste my tears on the likes of them.

Of course, their jeering and mocking still pierced my heart like knives, but of late I acted as though I heard nothing nor saw anything. It was much easier that way.

I made my way to the English class. The teachers were kind because I was performed well in class. I would submit my assignments on time and answer in class. Since I didn't have friends, I used the time to study ahead of time. In a way, that was my form of revenge. They could slap me, whip me, hit me, but none of them could beat my scores.

Before I knew it, I was at the door of my classroom.

"Enter Miss Evergreen." Mrs Brown said blandly, breaking my reverie.

I nodded and made my way to the back bench tripping on someone's feet and thereby causing a lot more of sniggering.

Unfortunately, Nellie and I didn't share many classes, and to top off my misfortune Nicole and Aden happened to be in the same class. It was a miracle, how I survived the day after all the verbal insults Nicole threw my way. Torturing me, was her obsession, and for that she ought to have been hospitalized.