26| Changes and Challenges ✔️

***
It hurts to let go,
But sometimes
it hurts more
to hold on.

***

K I A R A

I groaned as the alarm rang shrilly in my ear. Pulling off the duvet with an unsatisfied sigh, I sat up. Good things never last long. Just like sleep.

I stared at my groggy reflection in the mirror.

My hair was like a porcupine, standing up in all directions, (something Bart Simpson would have been proud of ), my teeth felt like glass and the poor bed looked like it had just suffered a massacre.

Four weeks had passed since my training began, and for once Elena had agreed to let me sleep in. It had taken an awful lot of convincing on my part.

It was already past seven and Ashton would already be in his office now. Now that I was officially a member of the Blood Hound Pack, I would have to fulfill my duties to the pack too.

I took a quick shower, slipped into a pair of jeans and combed my wild hair into a decent ponytail. Once I was done, I dashed down the stairs for breakfast.

Unfortunately for me, the Omegas informed me that Ashton had already finished his breakfast since he had a meeting soon.

I decided to wait for him in his office.

Life as a Luna would be undoubtedly tough. I knew I wasn't Ashton's true mate, but at least I could help him manage the pack. Like I said, it was my duty. After all they had done for me, it was the least I could do. Sure, they were a bit doubtful about me, but I guess they trusted me enough to know I could do this.

I tapped my foot idly on the floor as I waited for him. It was almost 11:00 now. The meeting with the warriors would be over now.

As if on cue Ashton stepped into the office with Claire and Dylan just behind him.

His  somber face lit up when he saw me. "Hey you."

"Hi!" I greeted him.

He sat down and faced me. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that Dylan and Claire had already busied themselves with the daily work. Claire had begun writing something, while Dylan was perusing the files.

This was my chance. I took a seat before him, contemplating how to say it.

"So," I began finally. "There's something I wanted to discuss."

He looked at me curiously.

"Go on." He prompted sensing my hesitancy.

I drew in a deep breath. "I want to help."

A pause.

"I don't understand." He said confusedly.

Of course he didn't. I hadn't even hinted at this before. He would be really surprised I volunteered.

"I'm a White wolf. You've seen me train. With your help, I've improved a lot within such a short time." I stated. "After everything this pack has done for me, I want to be able to help. My gifts, my skill—I don't want them to go waste. Permit me to take up my share of responsibilities."

I wanted to be Luna.

Not for fame or pride.

But because, deep down in my bones, this is what I was born to be.

Aden and his father might've not seen my potential, and that was their mistake. After living all these years under their thumb, I had questioned my self worth and capabilities. My true potential had been buried under layers of insecurity and hurt.