31| Battles

LISTEN TO 'TRY EVERYTHING' BY SHAKIRA WHILE YOU READ THE CHAPTER. OMFGOMFG IT FITS SO PERFECTLY. ♥

***

I looked my demons in the eye,
laid bare my chest and said,

"Do your best, destroy me,
You see, I've been to hell and back
many times,
I admit you kinda 'bore me'."

***

I was standing in the open field waiting for Jared's next set of instructions.

Ashton had barely uttered two syllabus to me aloud since morning, but through the mind-link his words rang clear:

"Ki, you were born to lead. Born to take the world by a storm. You'll always find doubters and non-believers in this world, but remember as long as you have breath in your lungs and will in your heart, you still possess the strength to prove them wrong."

I could feel the drops of sweat trickling down my neck and my back and I brushed it away impatiently.

Nervousness. Anxiety. All the emotions were in a swirl.

I bit my lip as I scanned the crowd. They were seated around Jared, Ashton and me, eyeing me with interest. People were gossiping, chatting and many were guessing what the next challenge would be.

Jared and Ashton were having an intense talk, and I wasn't meant to be eavesdropping. So instead, my eyes landed on Claire and Dylan stood a few yards away with a sombre look on their faces.

When I met Dylan's gaze, he attempted a small smile, one I returned easily. However, Claire looked at me stoically. It was like, she didn't want to be here, but had no say in the matter. I shook off the queasy feeling and looked away from them when Ashton finally turned to the excited crowd.

The voices dimmed as soon as he began to speak.

"My dear family and friends, today you are called to witness the second and Final Challenge. The first challenge, two days ago, proved that Kiara Evergreen is capable of handling a situation well in a crisis. Even in her human form, she succeeded finding the clue, fighting and making her way out."

I wrung my hands nervously, though it eased a bit when he praised me so highly. However, it was the second challenge I was now worried about.

"The second challenge is a race." He stated, "A race between three people and it will be four rounds about the pack perimeter. The challenge is simple, the one who comes first, wins. There is just one condition though, the race will be in wolf form and Kiara is a White Wolf, the others will get a head start by ten seconds. If she wins in spite of this, it is proved she is worthy to be Luna."

The breath I had been holding for so long, escaped me and I raked my hand through my long hair trying to calm my nerves.

The crowd had begun murmuring again, while Jared was checking the track. Warriors had been posted at a distance and the start and finish lines were being marked. People were gathering on either side of the track, interested and intrigued about the race.

"You ready for this?" I asked Zara. It had been just two days since the first challenge and I was worried about her. After all, if my Wolf was weak, I was too.

"I am, Kiara." She reassured me, "It'll be a bit tough, but I'll do my best."

I nodded a bit and turned towards Ashton who was now striding towards me with a serious look marring his features. His eyes softened when he noticed my tense face.